View line lengths as text on line

Does anyone know how to have the length of a line displayed as text above the line itself, without having to add a dimension?

I'm using a tablet PC to draft as-builts as I measure them. AutoCAD works fine for this, but I find it very useful to have the individual measurements visible for trouble shooting and for records.

I've tried using Apex Nexus for this purpose, but it's very limited when it comes to modifying and drafting acurately.

Even if you know of a program that would be useful for this that would be a great help.

Thanks

Don't think you're going to get much joy; possible you could request someone to write a lisp routine for it.

However, if you have dynamic input on, then when you select an object you get it's associated parameters, e.g. a selected line shows it's length.

If you want something more permanent you can add mtext above / next to the line then insert a field, liniing the field to the length property of the specific line object.

If you then modify the line length you will need to regen the drawing to update the fields. Though you can also use updatefields.

Perhaps a better solution would be to use dimensions but create a dim style without any lines or arrows, just text?

Just Text Dims.jpg

Don't think you're going to get much joy; possible you could request someone to write a lisp routine for it.

However, if you have dynamic input on[...]

No Lisps in AutoCAD LT :(

Oh, I should have mentioned that I don't have to use LT I can get a full version.

I don't want to use dimensions because since I'm in the field and usually in a non-vacant office area I want to be in and out of there ASAP. I'm trying to find a way to automate it so that I'm not wasting my time on something that I may or may not need.

I don't want to use dimensions because since I'm in the field and usually in a non-vacant office area I want to be in and out of there ASAP. I'm trying to find a way to automate it so that I'm not wasting my time on something that I may or may not need.

dimensioning a line takes 5 mouse clicks. I'm not sure I can see a faster solution.

Well, you can create a FIELD to show the length of each line. But as previously mentioned, it is not as fast as dimensioning.

Not to mention, for often use you can define a dimension stile to show only the dimension text. From that on, it is a few clicks to insert a number for a line OR use QDIM to dimension all the lines from a snap.

Didn't someone post a LISP routine that did something similar to this a while back? Lee Mac perhaps? Sounds very familiar. The OP says he can get the full version of AutoCAD. It's worth a shot.

• 1 year later...
I'm using a tablet PC to draft as-builts as I measure them. AutoCAD works fine for this

BDS808,

How do you use the tablet PC to draft as-builts with AutoCAD? What's your system? Thanks if you have the minute.

Sincerely,

brian at draftingservices. com