AutoCAD History - when did it become windows compatible?

chulse

I want to say it was Release 13 in November of '94 running on Windows 3.11 but I'd have to look it up myself. I did not load this version. I waited for Release 14.

I hadn't even realized we had a History forum...:oops:

What ... you didn't know we had a history forum. You need to get out more! :D

I'm over 50 ... can I become a registered landmark? :)

ReMark is right as far as I remember. The version I bought for myself originally was a copy of 13 for Windows. The firm I was working for didn't want it because it was for Windows, and we were all on DOS with R12. I was the IT/CAD guru flunky among all my normal everyday assignments of running a studio of folks. Since they didn't want it, I picked it up for myself. It cost me $600.00 ... and was "used" in the sense it came from another architectural firm.

I don't know what the street price was for AutoCAD back then. My excuse is my halfheimers. o:)

Well, late in the life of R-12 they were pushing a version that worked within Windows 3.1. Up to the widespread use, Autocad was a DOS only entered software. You could establish a link over to it though.

You had to have a Windows compatible printer and plotter (and 3 1/2 inch drives), as everything was Windows driven. Years before Win 95 or R-13 was on the market. Autocad LT was a work of Windows 3.1 (came on 5" disks) and same drivers worked on the bigger more expensive version.

The drawing files created by Windows for Autocad and for DOS interchanged with one another.

Wm.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am new here. I view all posts. Good disscussion here.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wupearls

This is your second post in this forum and also it is for the second time a moderator must adjust your post.

If you have a positive contribution to this site, you are more than welcomed but please do not try to post links. We don't like adverts here.

Have a good day!

Long before there was an Autocad, I think circa 1980 or 1981 a couple of fellows came to our office and visited, talking about our connection in to the plotter, the plotter language, etc. For they knew in the pipeline was the IBM personal computer and wanted to connect in.

Few years later when Autocad was on the market and the very same control language for plotters was installed and ready to go. They do not even make those plotters anymore, nor parts are available.

Wm.

Well, late in the life of R-12 they were pushing a version that worked within Windows 3.1. Up to

the widespread use, Autocad was a DOS only entered software. You could establish a link over to it though.

I will agree with the first part. I am pretty sure I remember an R12 for windows version. R13 was probably the first version with widespread use in windows, although it was deathly slow compared to the DOS version. R14 was the first windows only version AFAIK.

However, the part about AutoCAD being DOS only before R13 is not true. There were versions for OS/2, Macintosh, Solaris, Unix, and probably some others, mostly unix variants IIRC.

I will agree with the first part. I am pretty sure I remember an R12 for windows version. R13 was probably the first version with widespread use in windows, although it was deathly slow compared to the DOS version. R14 was the first windows only version AFAIK.

However, the part about AutoCAD being DOS only before R13 is not true. There were versions for OS/2, Macintosh, Solaris, Unix, and probably some others, mostly unix variants IIRC.

McSwain, dude you're like an Autodesk database I swear. :lol:

I used to have an R13 CD for Unix, not sure if it's still around or not...

I have R12 and R13. First version of AutoCAD that my company bought. We threw out all the rest, but I kept that one around. Still has the two big cardboard cases with all the books. Would you like an ISO of any of them? You know, for old times sake? :lol:

I have R12 and R13. First version of AutoCAD that my company bought. We threw out all the rest, but I kept that one around. Still has the two big cardboard cases with all the books. Would you like an ISO of any of them? You know, for old times sake? :lol:

R12 ISO, it would probably be small enough to post here. LoL Wasn't it like 4ish floppies?

R12 ISO, it would probably be small enough to post here. LoL Wasn't it like 4ish floppies?

ha, it's on disc actually. I'm serious tho, I'll do it. I guess technically it's "illegal" but hell, it's R12. I mean, seriously. :lol:

ha, it's on disc actually. I'm serious tho, I'll do it. I guess technically it's "illegal" but hell, it's R12. I mean, seriously. :lol:

Can't get too pissed. I know a lot of the PC game companies will make older games open source, after a certain amount of time. What's R12, circa 92? rk?