newb question

SV6000

Hi all i have only had autocad for two days and have never used it before. i am truing to draw a cylinder in two axis, as in one cylinder that runs along the Y axis and another cylinder that runs along the Z axis. But everytime i draw the second cylinder it goes along the Y axis how do i correct this properly.

Sorry for the silly question and thank you for all your help

Welcome to CADTutor!

I assume you are using full AutoCAD and working in 3D. When you draw in 3D the height of the cylider will always be drawn on the Z axis. So in order to get your cylinder where you want it, you need to change your UCS (User Coordinate System). There is a UCS and a UCS II toolbar, turn both of them on and play with them. I'm guessing that you want to rotate around wither the X or Y axis, but I can't visualize it till the coffee kicks in.

Go to the main CADTutor page and check out the tutorials, there is lots of information there.

Glen

I have the workspace settings set to 3D modeling, i am unsure what you mean by solids Glens post helped have got it the way i want now thank you.

Make sure that you have the UCS displayed (View - Display - UCS icon -on) and watch what happens as you draw cylinders with different selections in the UCS II toolbar. Keep the view set for one of the Isometrics (I prefer SW) and watch the icon change.

If you pay attention to the signs on the height of your cylinders you will notice that the Right and Left UCS have oposite directions (pos versus neg) likewise for top vs bottom and front vs back.

When you 'draw' (using the draw menu) you draw on the x/y plane. So if you want a circle on the x,z plane, you have to change the UCS temporarily to do so.

If you spend some time and really understand the UCS up front, you can save lots of time and aggravation later.

(Don't ask me how I know this.)

Glen

How did you create your cylinder?

I typed Cylinder into the command prompt at the bottom of the page

Glen

your post was really helpful thank you.

Are there any tutorial on rendering and how to render objecs??