Help with numbers

Nick-H-

I got to say im loving this site with the things its helped me out on :D

Wonder if there is a quick way to number things without having to type the number every time.

I have to number 250 fire alarm points on a drawing, from 1 -> 250 in a circle witha number in the middle, is there a quick way, or a lisp program so i dont have to keep copying pasting then changing the text to the right number......

is there a way to copy paste from 1, to 2, and the number changes automatically?

Nick of H

I have that program now installed, but how do you I need to have numbers in a circle and increment the numbers, but i cant fingure out how to do it

If I may offer an alternative, I would create a FIRE_ALARM_POINT block with an attribute in the middle of it. Place them all over your drawing where you want them. You can set the numbers as you enter them if you want, but what I do is get them everywhere I want them with the default place holder value, then qselect them and export the attributes. Open the csv txt file in Excel, number them, then DELETE THE COLUMN containing the block handle. Save the file as a txt file. Now import the attribute file - AutoCAD is slightly confused since it has a bunch of attributes to assign to a bunch of blocks, but It does not know which attribute to put on which block. So AutoCAD asks if you want to manually assign them, select yes, then watch the command window. The set of block attributes will display and you click on the block that you want to assign it to. Repeat 250 times.

If you screw up in the middle and put 123 where you wanted 124, just assign 124 where you wanted it, WRITE DOWN THE NUMBER you mixed up, and come back after the others are done and fix it individually.

I use this method for assigning door numbers in secure buildings, since the numbers may not increment regularly. The other reason is that now you can get accurate counts more quickly on your drawing. Qselect your FIRE_ALARM_POINTS block and AutoCAD will tell you how many of them there are. You can add model numbers, location and other data to your block.

Hope this helps.

Glen

Ive done it now, but a simple way - i just put a circle next to each fire point, where a number had to go, then went round a number them one by one using that program

Doesn't the command "tcount" allow you to number incrementally, and I thought it had options to put various shapes around the number..(too lazy to test it right now)?