+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Aaron Denkins

Default Re: General Questions on Architectural Desktop

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

What exactly is this program and what benefit does it have over the industry standard AutoCAD? ???

mrbuds

Architectural Desktop works along side AutoCAD. It allows you to draw in 2D exactly like you would in AutoCAD but while you are drawing it as also putting it in 3d format for you. Here is some links for info on the product.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/section...123112,00.html

if you have any trouble with the link just go to.

www.autodesk.com

In there products section you will find architectural desktop. Once you visit there and do some research come back and let me know what you think. Also if you have any more questions just let me know. ;D

billsta

mrbuds,
    you think architectural desktop is in direct competition with ArchiCAD (cant believe i said that dirty word)? ;D

i havent explored with desktop just yet, but know of the 'NEW' stuff that is avalible..

im just not a big fan of the 'Other' CAD system ;D

mrbuds

I must say Billsta the though of useing another CAD program besides AutoCAD made me feel sick. :-X I must say I have never use ArchiCAD or even heard of it, but if you look at the links I posted above you will see that Architectural Desktop is made by the same people that invented AutoCAD (Autodesk). It does not take functionality out of AutoCAD it just adds more features and options to it. Read the links above and then let me know what you think. If you are still interested after that I will give you some more sites, info etc.....

Is Archicad a run off of DataCAD at least that is what it looks like to me.

Mrbuds

billsta

i have used desktop before at Uni. but didnt really explore all the abilities it has. but did found a few goodies like the windows and doors blocks. however, tried abit with the plan->3D thing, and i didnt like, most likely due to the fact that i was just LOOKing at it. i feel by drawing on plan and automatic generate 3D seems a bit restricting and not my type of cake. i'd use viz any day.
    guess i need to explore the program, but its one of those do it at your own timer, and im lacking "my own time" ;D

what im most concern about desktop is its campatiblilty with VIZ? havent tried, but there still seems to be some not so right when transfering file between R14/2000 and Viz. havent tried 2002 or ADT, wonder if you have those experience.

atlast, you havent heard of ArchiCAD? aint you lucky. i wish i never did. but it seems that lots and lots of people did move to that program, because of its ability of transforming 2D plans to 3D images similar to ADT, however i dont think it holds as much 'Hidden' capabilities as CAD 13, it was really appealing to those who are not so computer inclined people, that was their Ver.5, but now they have Ver.7 think is quite good. *cough* similar to the mircostation movement.. :-/

mrbuds

Well good to see this section is getting some response! ;D Now billsta may I ask what version of Architectural Desktop you used? The newest version being 3.3. I do know that if you used a version like 2 and under you would be disappointed. As for Viz I have used 3d studio Max a lot but have yet to use Viz i imagine it is quite similar to Max except more functions to use with CAD programs correct? Back to ADT have you read about the use of massing studies and intelligent objects in ADT? If not I would read up on this. i believe it would change you mind on the program.

Mrbuds

bturner

Billsta,
    Adt 3.3 works pretty well as an exchange to/for Viz 4. Besides exporting, Viz 4 does have a file linking feature to ADT. If you make changes to the model in ADT it is updated and reflected in your viz model. This works well for me to produce both construction plans and use the same "model" for my renderings. This makes the whole process much faster and more accurate.

Hope this helps,
    Beau

mrbuds

Hey thanks Beau! It is always nice to get other peoples input! I have been contemplating on getting 3d Arch Viz due to the price. But I think it will be a well made investment work along with ADT. Thanks for the Advise

Mrbuds  

superjari

I just got ADT 3.3 last week...

I just looked at it quickly and tried some stuff out; it seems to work just like AllPlan the inserting of let's say doors windows or walls...

Do you guys think for 3D designing it works better than drawing the 3D yourself, in other words, does ADT 3.3 have enough possibilities of changing parameters for inserting objects like the walls, doors and windows?

superjari

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

I just tried some stuff out in ADT 3.3...

I just tried importing a drawing into VIZ with the file manager. In VIZ the window was just one layer, is it possible to make a window transparant or something but leave the windowframe not transparant?