saving as "step" and/or "inventor" file

jmatus86

I recently completed a 3d drawing using autocad2005. The engineer is using Solidworks and asked me to save the drawing as a "step" file and an "inventor" file. Can anyone help shed some light? A.s.a.p. would be much appreciated.

I have very little experiance with Inventor, but can't you just open/inport the drawing in Inventor and save it as the required file?

• 1 year later...

For what it's worth Solidworks will read the STEP (command: STEPOUT) and IGES (command: IGESOUT) files just as well. There are differences, but if it's just geometry you're after (not metadata, materials, styles etc) then just pick any...

For what it's worth Solidworks will read the STEP (command: STEPOUT) and IGES (command: IGESOUT) files just as well. There are differences, but if it's just geometry you're after (not metadata, materials, styles etc) then just pick any...

But all of that doesn't matter to the OP running vanilla AutoCAD 2005 as AutoCAD 2005 doesn't have a step or iges translator.

There is no stepout or iges out in that version.

Would need 2012 or free Inventor Fusion.

Ahh... No worries, I was using MechDesktop back in 2005, it had IGESOUT and STEPOUT... I assumed they were available from the base package...