LAYER manager vs. Query Current dwg>>Property>>Layer

Tallguy

Minor frustration :glare:

When rebuilding a new dwg from an old one, I print off the LAYER MANAGER list of layers in alphabetical order.

I then create a new dwg, ATTACH the old one, and Query Current dwg>>Property>>Layer>>Values... to bring in the layers I want, avoiding the ones I don't need.

Thing is, the selection box showing available layers to bring in is in a SLIGHTLY different "alphabetical order" than the LAYER MANAGER, depending on whether I have "-" between "words".

Make sense? No? Examples?

LAYER MANAGER order:

...LAPRA

...LC-SID-09-CLN

...LC Deps

Query Layer Selection order:

...LAPRA

...LC Deps

...LC-SID-09-CLN

Important? Not really, but when I have a lot of layers from various dwgs, some of which have "-" between words, it's a right pain in the :ouch:.

Why not treat the "-" alphabetically the same within the same application? I have to keep looking backwards and forwards over the layers to get the right ones, rather than selecting a nice easy list of layers in sequence.

I guess I'll shortly be re-naming all my layers to remove "-".

My rant is now... over. Thank you for listening, mighty forumites!

I agree, and it shall be done in due course. Housekeeping!

My point was more about AutoCAD treating the "-" symbol differently alphabetically, depending on which bit of it you're using. No understanding!