Edit Block Description

AQucsaiJr

Is there a way for me to edit a block description so that when I hover over the block icon on my tool palette, it will show a description of what the block is supposed to be used for? The blocks I want to do this for are within a drawing if that makes a difference.

I am not sure what it is called. I want a description of the block to show up when you hover the mouse over the block icon in the palette. However all my blocks are already made and I need to add this function to them.

Can the description be displayed with Tool tips or Quick Properties?

I guess I do not know enough about either of those to answer your question. I am using ACAD 2010, and when I hover my mouse over any icon in the tool palette, a description comes up right below my mouse arrow.

I guess I do not know enough about either of those to answer your question. I am using ACAD 2010, and when I hover my mouse over any icon in the tool palette, a description comes up right below my mouse arrow.

Ohhhhh, Tool Palettes. I missed that. If you right click on the icon, from the properties, you can add a description.

Ohhhhh, Tool Palettes. I missed that. If you right click on the icon, from the properties, you can add a description.

Ya I found this option. Do you know, if I change or add a description this way, does the description stay with the palette icon or does it stay with the block?

I ask because I create drawings that contain multiple blocks for my clients and then send the drawings to them. They want these descriptions on the blocks when they are sent.

Ya I found this option. Do you know, if I change or add a description this way, does the description stay with the palette icon or does it stay with the block?

I ask because I create drawings that contain multiple blocks for my clients and then send the drawings to them. They want these descriptions on the blocks when they are sent.

That's just for Tool Palettes.

Dang... Do you know a way to change or add a description to an existing block?

Here's something simple:

;;; Edit Block Description
;;; Required Subroutines: AT:GetString
;;; Alan J. Thompson, 10.16.09
(defun c:EBD (/ #Obj #Name #Block #Desc)
 (and
   (setq #Obj (car (entsel "\nSelect block to add description: ")))
   (eq "INSERT" (cdr (assoc 0 (entget #Obj))))
   (if (vlax-property-available-p (setq #OBj (vlax-ename->vla-object #Obj)) 'EffectiveName)
     (setq #Name (vla-get-EffectiveName #Obj))
     (setq #Name (vla-get-Name #OBj))
   ) ;_ if
   (setq #Block (vla-item (vla-get-blocks (vla-get-activedocument (vlax-get-acad-object))) #Name))
   (setq #Desc (AT:GetString "Change block description:" (vla-get-comments #Block)))
   (vl-catch-all-apply 'vla-put-comments (list #Block #Desc))
 ) ;_ and
 (princ)
) ;_ defun

You'll need this subroutine: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showpost.php?p=271370&postcount=14

Ya I just figured that out... posted quicker than I was thinking... sorry... Do I just paste it at the end of the EBD routine, after the defun?

*Sweet... That works perfect... Thanks alanjt.

Ya I just figured that out... posted quicker than I was thinking... sorry... Do I just paste it at the end of the EBD routine, after the defun?

*Sweet... That works perfect... Thanks alanjt.

Glad you figured it out, I was making breakfast with my 2 year old.

Always happy to help. :)

Glad you figured it out, I was making breakfast with my 2 year old.

Always happy to help. :)

Haha... Hope it goes well... Thanks for the help.

Haha... Hope it goes well... Thanks for the help.

:)

Bacon, eggs, coffee, toast and help from a 2.5 year old.

Actually, she's really good about helping. She pours in the coffee and hands me the eggs. :)

No problem. :)

So now I have another problem... I have already created the tool palettes I need with all the blocks I need in them and my client has desided that they want this feature I have been trying to figure out. They want the description to come up when the mouse is held over the image of the block in the tool palette. My problem is, how do I get the description that I give to a block to carry over to the image on the tool palette without having to go through and delete all the blocks in the palette and start over?

I have tried to add the description to the block and save the block and the drawing it is in. No change to tool palette.

I know you can right click on the image of the block on the tool palette and change it there but that does not carry to the block, just the tool palette, and they dont want that.

Any ideas??

Anyone know a quick way to update the description on a block and have it carry over to the description of that block in the tool palette?