How to Draw a spiral stair that goes around a round elevator similar to Apple store

dhdesigner

I am trying figure out the best way to draw a spiral staircase with floating metal treads that encircles a round glass elevator shaft in autocad 2009. The first section is 13' 1/8" high, outer part is 11 round inner part is 8' round with a 4 opening at elevator doorway, second section 18' high same inner and outer dimensions and opening. This would be very similar to the Apple NYC store stairs and elevator Ive attached a pic. Any step by step suggestions would be most appreciated. Thank you!!!!

fifthavenue_gallery_image4.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stevsmith

• dhdesigner

• Randolph

• alanjt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The best way to design a spiral stair is to start off drawing the plan view of the spiral stair.

From there you can then develop a single tread and convert it to a block, then project the treads around using a polar array.

The glass balustrade and be made using a combination of helix' and sweeps.

I prefer to be called Steven, but hey, I suppose Leo could be cool.:D

LoL

I don't know, might be a few hundred years before your time. :wink:

What I have given you is just a quick example of the tools I would use.

Obviously to give you a step by step detail would take quite a long time. But if you are struggling at some points you should repost here so that I can get mail alerts, that way i can post screen shots and examples that would help you.

• 1 month later...

Did you get that spiral staircase & lift drawn up? I'd love to see it! I'm thinking of the same thing for my building.

Could you upload the CAD drawing?

No, the design layout was changed and the elevator was turned into a standard rectangular one and placed elsewhere in the plan. The circular stair remained.

Did you get that spiral staircase & lift drawn up? I'd love to see it! I'm thinking of the same thing for my building.

Could you upload the CAD drawing?

Lol, what are you hoping for.

People will not hand you over work that takes a good few weeks to complete for free. Especially the type of work like the apple staircase.

@dhdesigner

Ah that's fair enough. I'd love to see how and understand how the structure of the apple staircase works. I've never been to that store. The store in my city is just a glass stairwell suspended at either end.

@stevsmith

See... that's precisely the problem I have with some architects!

I'd happily share any information or drawings with other architects. I'm not asking someone to give me a fully designed building, but if the information of built designs was open source and readily available to all architects, everyone would be able to learn from them, understand them and design them themselves!

The reason that an architect will not supply a cad drawing for projects is because they are only responsible for the general overall design of the project, it is the contractors and sub contractors responsibility to carry out the design base on the final draft from the architects.

It's nothing personal.

Load this and be done:

(DEFUN C:SPIRAL ()
(SETQ OBJEKTE (SSGET))
(SETQ MPUNKT (GETPOINT "\nRotpoint :"))
(SETQ WINKEL (GETREAL "\nRotangle :"))
(SETQ ABSTAND (GETREAL "\Z-Distance :"))
(SETQ ANZAHL (GETINT "\nNumber of copies :"))
(COMMAND "_OSNAP" "")
(SETQ X 0)
(WHILE (< X  ANZAHL)
 (COMMAND "_COPY" "_SI" OBJEKTE MPUNKT MPUNKT)
 (COMMAND "_ROTATE" "_SI" OBJEKTE MPUNKT WINKEL)
 (COMMAND "_MOVE" "_SI" OBJEKTE "0,0,0" (LIST 0.0 0.0 ABSTAND))
        (SETQ X (+ X 1))
)
(COMMAND "_OSNAP" "_END,_INT,_MID,_CEN,_INS,_PER")
(COMMAND "_REDRAW")
(SETQ OBJEKTE NIL)
)

"The reason that an architect will not supply a cad drawing for projects is because they are only responsible for the general overall design of the project..."

That does not compute, Mr. Smith (you MUST be the bad guy from Matrix :P). The reason is that it is his mental property and the architect wants to get paid for it. If car dealers gave awy cars for free, averybody would have nice cars, true, Mr. Jb. But guess who wouldn't be happy.

For the railing: the newer versions of AutoCAD have a spiral command, you can create a spiral line with. For the thickness, either you loft ("Extrude" command) a profile (like a circle or a square) along the spiral line, or you give it a thickness on import to 3dsmax.