too many annotation scales in xrefs

chelsea1307

For a project we are currently working on all files are stored on projectwise, all xrefs run through projectwise, so essentially whatever changes are made are immediately avaliable to everyone working on the job. This is great and all, but, one of the companies dwgs have an average of 11,000 + annotation scales. And those dwgs are referenced into ours. Usually in a situation like this we would just get rid of the annotation scales in the original, but since its run through projectwise every time they open and close one of these dwgs it over rides any changes we made (like getting rid of the annotation scales) We dont use annotation scales and i never have, is 11,000+ alot of annotation scales or is that normal? any suggestions on a fix for this? half the time i open the dwgs with these xrefed in it crashes autocad or takes forever.

checked out the link seems more towards the user creating the scales then me who recieves these dwgs

edit: already asked the other company to remove the excess scales, no luck there

I experienced this before, it was tedious work coz I had to ask everyone in our office using the xrefs to use a scalelistedit reset before they save on the main server, and also make it a practice to always use that command.

this problem usually occurs when using copy-paste of any entity(line, block, etc) from bloated files to any other dwg file, the scalelists are carried over to where the entities are pasted, another copy-paste doubles the scalelists and so on. YOu definitely have a user using the files with his/her scalelists bloated.

We ended up with 40000+ scales on many of our drawings until we figured out about resetting scaleslists.

• 2 years later...

sorry to bring up an old thread but i have a similar problem. Using the SCALELISTEDIT command only gets rid of SOME of the unwanted scales, and I understand that the rest of the scales are therefore in use (by attached/overlayed xrefs).

My question is: how can I tell WHICH Xrefs are hiding which Scales? I don't want to have to open every single xref attached if i don't need to!

I am using AutoCAD 2011 but am unsure exactly what sort of updates have been applied. Like I said, only SOME of the scales get erased when using that command, which must be because the rest are being used in Xrefs which are referenced into my current drawing.