flat helix pattern for laser cutting

Hi All

I have a 3d design of a tapered helix pattern which I need to make out of sheet metal. I would like to laser cut the pattern out of the flat sheet and then roll into the cone.

I have a dwg file of the 3d mesh and I would like to know how to make this into a flat pattern that I can send as a dwg file to the laser cutting machine.

Can I open up the 3d mesh to be flat?

Can anyone help

many thanks

Dave

dbes_helix01.DWG

Hi dbes3d,

sorry I cannot upload the unrolled pattern (the dwg has 1MB).

Please send me an email - scj.schulz(at)t-online.de - and I'll send you the drawing.

Regards

Jochen

Hi All

I have a 3d design of a tapered helix pattern which I need to make out of sheet metal. I would like to laser cut the pattern out of the flat sheet and then roll into the cone.

I have a dwg file of the 3d mesh and I would like to know how to make this into a flat pattern that I can send as a dwg file to the laser cutting machine.

Can I open up the 3d mesh to be flat?

Can anyone help

many thanks

Dave

Many of the laser "cutting" machines today (or past ten years) do not recognize all Autocad commands nor text in their software. They revert back to what was OK in the 1990's. Thus you need to state for translation in basic lines. If you can get your work to a HP-GL language, then it ought to fly.

Wm.