How to make lines bold?

Mason Dixon

Yes, there are several ways to do this.......

1. Use 'plines' and assign a width to them, or use pedit to make the 'line' a pline prior to doing the width. This isn't specifically lineweight but will produce the same idea.

2. Draw the line, select it and use the 'lineweight toolbar' to assign a line weight.

3. Move the linework onto a layer and assign that layer a certain color that corresponds to a pen color setting in your color table (ctb file) to print thicker then others. ie: set magenta to print with a 0.7 size rather then the default 0.25 pen width). Again, this isn't specifically line weight but will produce the same idea.

4. Move the linework onto a layer and assign a line weight to that layer itself, making sure the lineweight of that entity is set to 'bylayer'.

You cross window and select the linework and use either the layers pulldown toolbar and select the layer you want it to go to, or use the properties pane. There are other ways but those are the most common.

One way is to click on the line and if you have Quick Properties enabled change the layer there. Another option is to click on the line and change the layer in the full-blown Properties window. Do you know how to access either one or both of these features?

so click on the lines, the blue handles show up, when i'm done selecting i hit the quick properties and select the layer i want?

ok, got them on the right layer, but the lines on all layers are still the same thickness, nothing is bold even though I have their lineweight assigned to what I want per layer

Look at the bottom of your screen. See those ten buttons off to the left? Turn "on" the button for Show/Hide Lineweight. It's the second button in from the right.