Text in block changes when inserted

jagwinn

On blocks I create containing a text style, when inserted into a drawing that is using a different text style, the text style in the block changes to what is selected for the drawing.

Block was created with WBLOCK.

Ver. is AutoCAD2000

OS is Win2000 Professional

Changed to a different computer with same results. Specs of the 2nd computer:

Ver. is AutoCAD2000

OS is WinXP using COMPATABILITY MANAGER to run AutoCAD in simulated (or virtual) Win2000

Text style in block is ROMANS.

Text style in drawing is STANDARD.

My question is: How is the text style in the block made permanent and unchanging?

Thanks,

John

It should already stay. Is it the STYLE that is changing or the font that is changing?

If the block is defined as having a STYLE of STANDARD it should retain that. However if one drawing has the font for standard as simplex, the other has it as ROMANS you will see the difference.

The font. Block created with ROMANS to fit nicely in a title block block.

When inserted into drawing of ANY OTHER font, the font in the block changes and does not fit the text area as designed.

Text is part of a company logo and I desire it to look the same as company logo in any drawing regardless of the text style or font that drawing is created with.

ok, that's not how I read your first post. So you have a block containing text that you want to stay in the same font irrespective of what font its style has associated with it.

3 ways spring to mind

1 - chose such a ridiculous style name that it is unlikely to have already got a font association. There is still a chance that it can be chosen though.

2 - use MTEXT and wrap the font information around the text. This will then be independant of the style|font relationship but will revert if somebody explodes the MTEXT.

3 - explode the text and solid hatch it. This used to be done with an express tool. I don't have AutoCAD here so can't comment if it is still available.

use MTEXT and wrap the font information around the text.
Dave,

MTEXT provided the same result. Font subject to the drawing font chosen. I tried it in a new fresh drawing, inserted block with MTEXT defined font, then chose FORMAT>TEXT STYLE> (any style).

Have not tried other two suggestions yet.

you misunderstand. highlight your text within the MTEXT and apply the font from the combo box. This will apply that font to that text irrespective of the style of the text

For logos you will want to explode the text so it will always display as you intend. If you use another style name it can still be changed by others receiving the drawing. Also, as a general rule don't use Standard styles except as they come in default mode, create your own to avoid these types of problems.

• 5 years later...
For logos you will want to explode the text so it will always display as you intend. If you use another style name it can still be changed by others receiving the drawing. Also, as a general rule don't use Standard styles except as they come in default mode, create your own to avoid these types of problems.

Sorry to bring up an old post! But I have the same issue here.

The problem with exploded text, is the large file size though. I need my STAMP to stay with specific font. Hence, I exploded it and used solid hatch to re-create it. A simple one word stamp is now ridiculously 800KB! I have used purge, audit, wblock, you name it ! but the file size is still big.

Any idea how I can reduce my 'solid hatched object' file size?

As Constructed.dwg

Edited by bababarghi

Here it is at 200.7 KB.

I erased everything in modelspace that was visible, did a ctrl + A to select all, and still selected 1098 objects as shown in the pic of properties. So, I closed without saving, re-opened, selected All again, deselected the white outline, the red whatzitz frame and the text characters, and erased 687 KB of invisible objects.

Dunno where they were, or why we can't see them.

As Constructed.dwg

Untitled.jpg

Wow :shock:

Thanks Dana W.

Today I learnt a lesson not to trust my eyes !

Trick you mentioned is what I have been using for a long time but not for this type of scenario because when I did 'Zoom>Extent', there was nothing on the screen but the stamp. So, at that point, I was pretty certain there is no hidden object in the drawing to be deleted. It turned out I was wrong.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what are those 'ghost' entities that may not been caught by 'Zoom>Extent' but they do exist on the drawing? :book: