Unable to open .dxf file in ACAD2007

gururajendrak

hi every one,

i saved a dwg file as 2000/LT2000 DXF format , but when i go out and try to open that dxf file its giving me the following error ( screen shot attached).. can some one give me a solution for this please...

Thanks

Guru

Error.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• gururajendrak

• chelsea1307

• alanjt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You cannot "open" a DXF file as you would a DWG file. You must use the DXFIN command as alan has suggested above.

DXFIN

Loads a DXF exchange format file.

This command is used in a new drawing before anything else is done. Try it.

You cannot "open" a DXF file as you would a DWG file.

Sure you can, you just need to select DXF in the drop-down Files of Type on the Open Dialogue Box

And there's the catch: Files of Type. Most people wouldn't think of looking there especially old-timers who shall remain nameless because they just type DXFIN at the command line. Don't know who that could be do you? LOL

And there's the catch: Files of Type. Most people wouldn't think of looking there especially old-timers who shall remain nameless because they just type DXFIN at the command line. Don't know who that could be do you? LOL

Man, I don't know where anything is in the pulldown.

You cannot "open" a DXF file as you would a DWG file. You must use the DXFIN command as alan has suggested above.

DXFIN

Loads a DXF exchange format file.

This command is used in a new drawing before anything else is done. Try it.

I must be one of those oldtimers then. For I can type DXFIN faster than another user can move the mouse into position.

But, you cannot SAVE the file then created in DXF format. Can only be saved as a DWG of some sort, for that type of file has the MENU command in it someplace. The DXF does not have a MENU command and thus you cannot save as one. You may think your are doing something, but actually you are...

Wm.

Sure you can, you just need to select DXF in the drop-down Files of Type on the Open Dialogue Box.

Works every time from the drop-down file.

However, saves to .dwg format.

Be sure to audit and purge when and/or before saving. :wink:

When you go to open another file be sure to change the drop down box to *.dwg format.

Hi all,

i tried all you said, DXFIN and also by open and selecting DXF from the drop down menu.. but not working.. is there some thing we can do..

I must be one of those oldtimers then. For I can type DXFIN faster than another user can move the mouse into position.

But, you cannot SAVE the file then created in DXF format. Can only be saved as a DWG of some sort, for that type of file has the MENU command in it someplace. The DXF does not have a MENU command and thus you cannot save as one. You may think your are doing something, but actually you are...

Wm.

Ah, yes you can. If you want to save as a dxf, simply select dxf (instead of dwg) in the drop down box when saving and choosing the filename to save with etc...

hi i just found this link from google..

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=7586582&linkID=9240617

this is what the excat problem i am facing.. but i am not able to rectify even after following the step by step proceedure.. only thing i am missing is Step2.. does any body here have an idea.. pls help

What do you mean you're "missing Step 2"?

Step 2:

"In the File Conversion dialog box, under Text encoding, select Windows (default) and click OK."

Yes , you are right.. i am not able to find that option in MSword.. but i am able to follow all other steps and its not working. so i am thinking its not working because i am not followed everything..

Did you come across such problem any time,.

Then try this.

Change the file type extension of your dxf to txt.

Example: Rename mydrawing.dxf to mydrawing.doc.

Start Microsoft Word and open the renamed file. It should appear on your screen.

At the top of your screen click on Help.

In the Search box type in the words text encoding.

From the search results listed click on Save a file as encoded text.

Follow the instructions as provided by Microsoft Word.

hi Mr. Swain,

Surprise to see you here too.. no wonder you are ACAD savvy...

thanks for your interest..

Hi Remark,

I tried what you said too.. its the same thing given in the Auto Desk discussions.. its not working..

I just got ACAD2009 installed, but its happening with 2009 also. i am not able to open the file.

i wanted to attach the ZIP file but its size is 417kb and is not getting uploaded.

you mean the dwg file i am trying to save as dxf is corrupted,

but i dont have any problem with that file as it is.

when i save it as dxf then its giving this error. assuming that file is corrupted , do we have any options to rectify that..