line angle relative to last line

New2CADmike

Hi All..I have been practicing using a older book(copyright 1990) and it has some decent exercises in it. I was able to do this one but it seems I can"t find the proper way to do this..First drawing a line a certain distance..ortho on,click the first point anywhere,move curser to the left and click again. that gives me a line at 180 degrees at what ever length..Line command again starting at the second point of the first line..after clicking that point,I type in @2.38Drawing1.jpg

Thanks Kencaz..in that thread there is a post asking how to find that angle..in my drawing the third line angle is 45..adjusting the angle of the UCS -30 degrees make the line 75 degrees to the second line..doing the math as you explained..but in this exercise in this old book there is a series of lines drawn on the page all relative to the line previous..if each angle has to be made doing the math..lots of room for a error..I just thought ACAD had a 'relative to last line' type of command ..Mike

Have a look at Polar Tracking. In the settings you can set the Increment angle to 15°, and the Polar Angle measurement to Relative to last segment.

For Relative to last segment to work, you have to be drawing the lines in the same command, otherwise you have to snap to Endpoint of the last line drawn.

For Relative to last segment to work, you have to be drawing the lines in the same command, otherwise you have to snap to Endpoint of the last line drawn.

Welcome to the forums New2CADmike!

If that happens, keep in mind 0° is at 3 o'clock.

Angles move counterclockwise, 90° is then at 12 o'clock.

180° would be at 9 o'clock, 270° of course at 6 o'clock.

Feels like you're workin' backwards but, it works! Have fun!

AutoCAD 2000 I found to be an excellent program.

That's the way it is folks! :geek:

Welcome to the forums New2CADmike!

If that happens, keep in mind 0° is at 3 o'clock.

Angles move counterclockwise, 90° is then at 12 o'clock.

180° would be at 9 o'clock, 270° of course at 6 o'clock.

Feels like you're workin' backwards but, it works! Have fun!

AutoCAD 2000 I found to be an excellent program.

That's the way it is folks! :geek:

Thanks for the welcome Tankman,but I have been here for a while it is just I haven't been here for a while and things get rusty without use..the fastest way that I figured to do this is draw the second line on top of the first line to the correct length and then using the rotate command,spin it to the correct angle..using the counterclockwise direction you mentioned..Mike

To use Polar tracking, you need a delicate mouse hand and good eyesight.

But it is posible to draw your exercise in one go (given a few more dimensions) :D

To use Polar tracking, you need a delicate mouse hand and good eyesight.

But it is posible to draw your exercise in one go (given a few more dimensions) :D

Mouse is fine, eyesight might be in question! :oops:

• 3 years later...