How to create dimension

abishop

I am a ROOKIE at Inventor

I am FRESH to AutoDesk inventor. I am trying to create a dimension in a partial detail view. It is a diameter dim that has the double arrow as it does not have the other half of the hole in the partial detail view. Is this doable and what is this dim called as i can't remember it?

Thanks

Andy B

Andy, what version of Inventor are you running? Is this hole external on the part in the view you are trying to dimension it in? Are you dealing with a wire frame view or are you working with a shaded or hidden line view?

I am in Inventor 2009. It is in Detail view where you create the circle detail and the only thing in the detail view is part of the part you are drawing. Say there is a bore in the view but you only see the top portion of the bore/hole. You want to dimension it in this view as this view is 5/1 and you can see the hole better in the larger view.

I would then click the one edge of the hole and the other edge is not in this detail view so it creates a DOUBLE ARROW. Sorry, i use to use ProE.

Thanks

AndyB

it should be no problem. Im sorry im not fully understanding. To me it sounds like you are getting a double arrow leader when you want a single arrow for the diameter?

I drew a small part, then made a detail view at 10:1. It lets me select the bore in the detailed view and dimension it. If the issue is the leader type you can change the standard type with Tools>application options>Drawing. Inventor is really good about giving you options during your selection. You may notice some icons pop up when you go to dimension the hole. If you click General Dimension its basically several different types of possible dimensions so your selection is important. Make sure not to select one of the quadrant points but select somewhere along the circle. the Icon will be a circle with a leader inside it rather than a Dot(probably green). If you select just part of the circle and drag the cursor you should get your dimension, but if you select the dot its looking for another selection to give a dimesnsion, so you probably selected the center of the circle.

Hopefully that helped but let me know if im still not understanding you correctly.

DiaLeader.JPG

Check out this drawing. This is my proe drawing i am trying to duplicate and maybe i shouldn't be. I try to remember that just because one does it doesn't mean you have to do it this way.

It is the .505/.503 limit dim.

Thanks

AndyB

double arrow.pdf

Ah yes, the Linear Symmetric and Linear Diametric Dimension. In order to do this you need to have a centerline for the view which you can make with the Automated Centerlines command and then just turn off the centerline when you are done. Once you have the centerline simply create a General Dimension to it and then Right Click and choose Dimension Type Symmentric or Diametric depending on what you want.

Ill have to play around with it. Im not sure when you would want a reference line that goes to nothing though. When you add the dimensions in Inventor are you using the Hole dimension or general dimension?

edit, there you go:)