UCS 2D plan to 3D elevation

rossi_mac

Hi I hope the title explains what I'm trying to do.

I have a plan of a multi sided object and 3D points.

I've created lots of UCS's for each face.

What I'd like to do is set a particular UCS so that it is square in the view in plan view, which I manage, then I want to view it as a flat on elevation effectively with z values going up x values to the right and y values the other direction! Traditionally I would have "flipped" the data to be viewed in this way like an elevation of a building would appear.

I'm really struggling and not quite sure why I can't work this out as surely this is the point of ucs's, the presets of top bottom etc, or the 3d orbit aren't good enough I need to be able to be square on to the information, or at least I think I do!!

Thanks in advance ( I hope!)

Rossi.

just had a minor brain wave.

You mentioned "face" my drawing does not have a defined single face I can pick, however maybe I could get round this by creating a face which is the same orientation as my ucs?

If so any tips welcome (on what exactly a face is)

Thanks

Rossi

Well you mentioned objects and 3D points so I wasn't exactly sure what you wanted to square up to.

Old school here so forgive me. But when I type UCS at the command line and press Enter I can them type "O" (for Origin) and relocate it then I can repeat the UCS command and this time type "3" for 3 point and follow the prompts for base point and positive direction of both X and Y.

Please let us know how you make out. If you have further questions pertaining to this particular thread continue to post them here. Questions on new topics deserve a new thread. Good luck.

Yeah baby!!! I done it!

Not quite how you said, I was getting quite confused with defining the 3 points. Oh and it's not becasue you said you're old school I spent most of my time on rel 12! Only just getting to grips with 2009!!

So I typed into command line "view"

Up popped a window

I expanded preset views

selected Front

changed the set relative to box to my current UCS

then I can set the view to be front and it is square to my ucs with z values up and x to the right!

Thanks for pushing me along here.

Cheers

Rossi

mphillip17, how would you have suggested?

I am smiling because I can now get on but I would be interested if I did it the correct, or rather most efficient way.

Regards

Rossi

As with many things in AutoCAD there are multiple ways to achieve the same results. It's always good to know more than one way to do something. Keep striving for knowledge.