Attribute Data Extraction Writing to External Excel File

spur

Hi,

I have been trying to extract data from blocks containing attributes to an external Excel file source.

I can update a table within AutoCAD and then get the update to an external source file which contains non attribute data but if I extract attribute data to another table I can not get the external file to update when changes are made.

I have been through the data extraction wizard and set up a table within the drawing I then go through the following.

· Select object. Change attribute value description. Select table. Right click and select Update Table Data Links. The table updates to show the change in the appropriate column. (This will also works if the Data Link icon on the status bar is selected and then right click Update Data Links…). The following message appears within the command line

1 object(s) found.

1 object(s) updated successfully.

Then with the table selected Right click and select Write Data Links to External Source. Following message appears within command line.

1 data link(s) do not allow their data to be written out.

0 data link(s) written out successfully.

The external source file does not update.

External source file will update if the following is undertaken:

Column is selected then right click and Data Extraction is selected and then Edit Data Extraction Settings…

After selecting this and clicking Next through each of the dialog boxes to Finish the external file will update to match the table within the drawing.

Can anyone confirm why this does not update without going through the Edit Data Extraction Settings…

From reading the help section within AutoCAD this should update the external source file. Is this the case or am I missing something. I have even tried dbconnect but still get difficulties.

• 1 year later...

Hello, Spur.

Have you found an answer or any alternative solution ?

I've got the same problem: "data link(s) do not allow their data to be written out"

And it seems to last from 2008, posted on Autodesk Discussion Board link.

I have used the export data command in express tools, this save the block attributes in a tab separated txt file that can then be imported to excel.

Regards

@Spur

It's a pity.

Btw, have noticed - single cell update works fine (right click-> data link-> upload user changes to source file).

Thnx for reply.

I have used the export data command in express tools, this save the block attributes in a tab separated txt file that can then be imported to excel.

Regards

That's right.

Also you can insert exported table via data link and update it from excel.

As well it should work in reverse, from drawing to excel, but it doesn't.

And that's the question :]