Why is my drawing so big (19mB)

MarcoW

Hi,

I have an xref (*.dwg) attached to my (empty) drawing.

For some reason the xref's size is 19Mb.

The xref itself is not very different then other drawings, strange...

There are no links or attachements made in the xref.

No images, no nothing special. Looks like a plain and simple drawing.

I guess there are elements in the xref drawing that causes this.

Maybe hatches or so...

Is there a way to retrieve what causes the drawing to be that big?

Pleas help, thank you in advance.

Well of courseI have, that would be the first to do.

I know for shure that some entities, hatches or fonts cause this problem but how to solve?

• 9 months later...

Does 2008 purge layer filters?

Layer filters can get copied all over the place even when you dont want them to, you can end up with hundreds of them bloating your drawing size and older versions of acad wont purge them.

Superpurge will get rid of them if you have it. If not then you have to go to FORMAT > LAYER ; drop down the list of named layer filters and delete them on by one.

(Pick the first in the list, click on delete, put a weight on the enter key and go and make a coffee).

• 5 weeks later...

I noticed that I never answered this thread, not my style so I would like to tell how this was solved. (Or at least how I think it was solved.)

The first solution is here.

What might have added to the solution is that I have copied all into a new *.dwg and saved it (replaced the original). Guess the original *.dwg was corrupted somehow.

the solution you mention regards scale lists becomming hugely long.

at my work we have a "scale_list_cleanup.exe" program which is excellent as you navigate to a folder, select the drawings, say which scales you want them to have and it will clean them all up in one go, and prints a report of sucess. there is even an option to include xrefs in the cleanup.

because i don't know where it comes from, i have not attached the files. if people want it, and a moderator says it's okay to do so, i could put it up. it really is useful!