3d roof problem

webguit

Hi

I uploaded my roof. I need to extract those indicated parts from roof. How I should do this?:unsure: I made this in two parts with polyline and extruded them and then put together. I tried many ways but nothing worked!

Please help!

Tarmo

roof copy.jpg

No, I did triangle with polyline and extruded but subtract didn´t work. I also tried this before posting the problem, maybe I am just doing something wrong. Is there any other way?

Starky gave you good advice. I know as I tried his method and it worked for me. First, you have to be careful with the triangles you create. Second, you have to make sure you're subtracting the triangles from the correct roof.

Here's the proof. I used 3Dpolylines to construct the triangles. Images are of the roofs before and after subtraction (upsidedown views included too). I did not bother to include the part where I extruded the triangles.

3Droof_subtract.jpg

You do need to make sure that your solids are intersecting when you use the subtract command. I just tried it and it worked just fine.

Another option would be to used the slice command, but it would take more steps than was was mentioned to do above.

What did you do wrong? My guess is that you subtracted the triangle from the wrong roof. Think about it.

The roof you are subtracting from will have the extruded triangle of the other perpendicular roof subtracted and not its own triangle.

Look at my example above. The blue roof has the extruded triangle made for the orange roof subtracted from it and the orange roof has the extruded triangle for the blue roof subtracted from it. Understand? You have to pay attention to the command line prompts and your geometry.