Pasteclip Invalid?

Meagan11

Hello all

I am trying to copy something another member of staff did in a different office and sent to me, into my master drawing and I go to copy with base point and paste it into my drawing and i get the message inthe command bar "pasteclip invalid" i have worked with CAD for a while and i have never seen this error message, I also asked everyone in our office (which is only 3 CAD people mind you) and they havent seen it either. I searched AutoCAD help and nothing...

does anyone know what causes this error and a way to get around it, because i need to all in all these changes.

thanks again

Megan:

I think this topic just came up recently. Use the Search feature above or look at the Similar links listed below.

Pasteclip problems surfaced in the past with a couple releases of AutoCAD. AutoDesk released a hotfix for one and I think the other was taken care of with the release of an Update (previously called Service Packs).

More info available at the AutoDesk website if you look.

Curious. What software was used to create the drawing done by the other staff member?

I did a search through the FAQ base thing you guys have, and it pulled up one result and when i clicked on it, it didnt direct me anywhere, I also tried searching Google... big waste of time there!

As far as i know the computer he made them on had all the up to date service packs, but his version is 2006, and I am using 2009. We never had this problem before today thats why i was so taken a back it, i cant figure it out!

I will search through autodesk though as an option? any other suggestions?

This old "copy and paste" bug with 2007 and some 2008 versions still comes up a lot.

The problem comes when a drawing is saved to an earlier version when using one of the faulty Acad versions.

There is a hotfix on the autodesk website to sort out the the faulty Acad-

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=7450124&linkID=9280927

Of course if the drawing has come from someone else this will not help you.

In this case try auditing, purging, and resaving the problem drawing from your Acad.

OR you could try opening and saving using Drawing True View.

Trueview can often open and clean up corrupted files, especially if you use the convert option to change it to another Acad file version.

Here is a link to the Autodesk site to download Trueview for FREE if you dont already have it-

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?id=6703438&siteID=123112

Be aware that Autodesk keep moving the pages about; if the links above dont work then try typing "Hotfix cut and paste" and/or "trueview" into the searchbox on the Autodesk website.

When we upgraded to Acad2007, we had similar issues with pasteclip and here's what I've determined.

The hot fix or service pack did correct this. However, any drawings saved and closed before the "fix" was implimented still had these issues. The problem is resident within the drawing files.

Now that we are using 2008, these issues still show up from time to time.

My fix is to just open a file do a save and close. When you open the file a second time, problem solved.

Hope this helps.

The HOTFIX page on Autodesk tells you that you have to go back and sort out these old files. Just open and save them again after you have got the hotfix.

Can be a pain in the 0000 if there are a lot of them.

Dwg TrueView is able to do multiple file converts to the same version as the original files (not realy a convert, just a fix); you just have to do it for each directory where the drawings are.

I did a search through the FAQ base thing you guys have, and it pulled up one result and when i clicked on it, it didnt direct me anywhere...

Can you point me in the direction of the FAQ link that didn't work please?

Separately, the error will be down to the clipboard being empty- I've had it before when I've chosen COPYBASE but then forgot to choose a base point before changing drawing... :oops:

Also, have you tried different methods, and do they each produce the same result? (IE COPYBASE command line/ CTRL+SHIFT+C/ Toolbar/ Drop down menu...).

• 2 years later...

Recently I have came across pasteclip invalid Error,when I tried to copy from another 3rd part dwg (2000 format).,but I have solved the problem by the following method ,without the Installing hot fix , hope will work for all.

1) The drawing (from were copy'ing is needed is 'xref' ed to new dwg (say 2004 format).

2)Bind the xref (xbind),so as it be a part in host dwg,

3)Explode the dwg to get the individual component as it is in parent dwg.

Then copy and paste as required...

• 4 years later...