Need to follow a non existant arc getting closer existing arc with each chord

Hudson

Is the best way to go about this to draw a circle and then check the points on the circle to find one that's right for the next chord?

Or is there a better way?

Thanks for any and all input!

I think I may be able to help. Could you try wording that differenty?

Ok.. so in a nutshell the main purpose of the program I am writing is to generate chords along a curve.

However the point I have to start with, is not always on the curve.

When that happens, I would like to bring the chords back to the curve gradually and predictably... sort of like how a spiral curve enters a fixed radius.

Ok.. so in a nutshell the main purpose of the program I am writing is to generate chords along a curve.

When that happens, I would like to bring the chords back to the curve gradually and predictably... sort of like how a spiral curve enters a fixed radius.

I am not sure if this helps, But check out these two Lee Mac threads.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38407

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38562

Take a look at the drawing attached just to see if I have the right visual.

arc chords.dwg

That's not exactly what I need to do..

although I'm sure it will prove usefull.

I don't know if simply rotating the existing arc at a point will help that much.. maybe it will.

Take a look at the drawing attached just to see if I have the right visual.

Kindy..

Sorry it took a long time to get a viewer.. first link I saw was autocads massive one.. figured might as well.. forgot this machine is Vista... oy, downloaded the wrong bit version.. hah

At any rate.. I wish it was that simple.. it's more like I'm within the area of the arc I want to be on.. not a projection of it.. and need an arc/spiral curve, or something approximating a curve to get me back onto the line of the arc.. instead of inside of it or outside of it.

I will draw something up in Cad when I'm no longer using my wife's laptop!

The way I'm approaching it at the moment:

I know the "rate of curve" when the point is on the arc to draw the chords along the arc.

So when my point isn't on the arc, I am using a giant condition statement to adjust my rate of curve depending on how far away the point is from the arc to bring it closer with each chord, but still remain in a curve and not straight line.

Tomorrow, I can send you a file illustrating the problem..

The cond method is working fairly well.. althought it took a while to get acceptable "rates of change" to the curvature.