Help with drawing a T-beam for a project

midwinter7

Hi everyone.

I'm a second year Civil Engineering student. For a upcoming project - in which I we need to re-create 'anything to do with engineering' - i've decided to draw a structure at my local trian staton.

I need to draw an arch made up of a t-beam and i'm a bit stuck with how to draw in in CAD. I'm using architecture 2010, I've tried searching for simular posts but can't find anything.

I really appreciate your help guys.

Andy

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• midwinter7

• ReMark

• Tankman

• shweta

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome to the forums Andy.

Pardon my ignorance, what is a T-Beam?

Years ago, many, I did structural steel work. Was very good, rewarding work.

If I remember, the few times I used what might be called a T-Beam, we simply cut down an I-Beam making two T-Beams with one saw or torch cut.

As far as a train station, don't know where a drawing might be found.

Can you work from photographs? Those might be found on the www.

Good luck in your studies.

Are you doing this in 2D or 3D?

Is this a single "T" beam or a double "T" beam? I've seen both used in highway construction.

Now that I think of it, since you said "arch" you are probably talking about a double "T".

tankman - yeah, that's what i meant by a t-beam. A simple I beam, but to form two t beams. I made a sketch fo the structure yesterday before I got on the train so I simply need to copy it in CAD. I like the older structures and the character is shows.

ReMark - in 3D.

This rough sketch shows briefly what I mean

Station structure.jpg

Thanks ReMark. Perhaps Andy should contact skipsophrenic.

Skipso is the local "rail" guru. He should be the go-to-guy for rail information or assistance. He might even have a drawing of a station(?).

After reviewing ReMark's link, I downloaded and converted two of the beam types for Andy's library. I was absolutely surprised how clean the two *.pdf files converted to *.dwg files, very clean. Obviously not created from a scan. Isn't that nice! 8)

T-Beam.dwg

T-Double-T-Beam.dwg

Are you doing this in 2D or 3D?

Is this a single "T" beam or a double "T" beam? I've seen both used in highway construction.

Now that I think of it, since you said "arch" you are probably talking about a double "T".

I haven't thought about a double T, i'll bear that in mind. Cheers!

Thanks ReMark. Perhaps Andy should contact skipsophrenic.

Skipso is the local "rail" guru. He should be the go-to-guy for rail information or assistance. He might even have a drawing of a station(?).

Oh brilliant, i'll get on it. Thanks.

Draw your shape then either using Sweep or Extrude commands reproduce it over the length of an arc.

Where are you located? Are we doing this in Imperial or Metric units?

Draw your shape then either using Sweep or Extrude commands reproduce it over the length of an arc.

Where are you located? Are we doing this in Imperial or Metric units?

In the UK, down in Plymouth to be exact. I'll try the extrude command, i'm not quite sure who I didn't think of it to be honest. Thanks for your replies :)

In the UK, down in Plymouth to be exact. I'll try the extrude command, i'm not quite sure who I didn't think of it to be honest. Thanks for your replies :)

Skipso is also in the UK, Birmingham, United Kingdom. PM him.

Cheers guys, I'm back home for the weekend (I'm down at Uni in Plymouth), but when I get back I'll check out all the links posted and get experimenting. Hopefully with your help I can really get some good marks. This is really helpful :)

Andy:

Keep in mind the length of the "T-Beam" must be cut longer than desired.

Because the bottom two rollers are spaced, each end will have a flat.

The flat is cutoff, as required (length and angle) and mounting brackets welded to mount the arch.

While this fabrication know-how isn't needed, it may help thinking about the designing phase of the project.

I-BEAM-ROLL-2.dwg

• 4 weeks later...

shweta:

First. There is no need for duplicate posts.

Second. Attaching your question to that of another forum member is not recommended. To have more "eyes" on your question and to get more responses it should be asked in the correct forum and be posted as a separate question.

Third. The hollow core slab I am familiar with is basically a rectangular section with open "tubes" through it. Is this what you're after? 2D or 3D?