drawing when length between points isnt clearly labelled

luke83

I need a rule cleared up for me in detail to pleased as i dont really understand what i was told. Now its about nowing how to measurme the distance between 2 points by using 2 seperate radius that meet at the tangent point. Something along the lines of using the know radius size to measure out the job. Do you know what im talking about? iTS PROBERLY SOME RULE ON GEOMETRIC CONSTRUCTION THAT I CANT REMEMBER SO HOPEFULLY SOMEONE HERE CAN POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.

IF YOUR STILL UNCLEAR ON WHAT IM SAYING I WILL TRY TO DRAW IT FREEHAND IN AUTOCAD (AS IM NOT SURE HOW TO MEASURE IT PROPERLY) AND POST THAT

o:)

Luke, not exactly sure what the question is.

By all means post the drawing (*.dwg) file however, save the file to AutoCAD 2000, not all have the latest AutoCAD releases.

And, where might you be posting from?

here is one i drew earlier going off what i remember during my 2 days of autocad training, as you can see there isnt any actual measurments between the circles or the hexagon. So if you had to draw this how would you know how far apart everything is?

ALSO WHY ARE MY NSIZINGS SO SMALL

STUFFED ME.dwg

will update my user details now you mention it. Im from australia, no experience drawing anything before nad have been thrown in the deep end at work as my boss gave his notice and aparently im next in line lol.

sorry saved it (attachment) in a older format this time.

Take a peek-a-boo at the attached *.dwg.

I did make a few changes although, if I remember, you had all the information you needed.

Just a bit too much in my opinion. :thumbsup:

Where might you be posting from?

Upper right, click on messages, from there you can select or post an avatar.

STUFFED-20ME[2].dwg

Tankman, I am unable to open your drawing as posted. You need to remove the "%20" from the file name. I was able to open it once I did that.

Luke83, I have posted a drawing showing the steps that I used to recreate the drawing you posted. I did it without the aid of any dimensions. I just worked with the radius information that was provided.

And the reason your dimensions are so small is because your dimension text height was set to .180. I have changed it to 3.0. You can change it to whatever you want in your Dimension Style Manager.

STUFFED.dwg

Once again thankyou Tankman, you layed it out very easily for me.

Also thank you to Cad64, just one question though did you place the 3 circles by using a radius from the centre point? i had todraw this job from a piece of paper so if thats the way you did dot how did you know how to get the correct size?

Havent found how to change my dimension for my text yet, only had 2 days training on autocad and my actual course doens start till next year but i am lucky enough to have the whole years course notes in front of me so im getting a early start so i dont look to stupid lol.

Im only a wood machininst apprentice thats been chucked into the deepen becuase of people leaving my employer. The standard wood machinist course in australia doens go into Cad at all which is crazy as everything is going CNC these days , in industry setting up the old manual machines like spindle moulders is quicky becoming a thing of the past.

did you place the 3 circles by using a radius from the centre point?

No, I just started with the blue circle, 12.5 radius. Then I drew the larger circle around it, 25.0 radius. Then I moved over to the left, and to the right, and drew the 40.0 radius circles. They are on the same centerline and tangent to the 25.0 radius circles. Then I moved up and drew the two 25.0 radius circles, which are on the same centerline and tangent to the 40.0 circles. Then I drew the two 12.5 radius circles inside the 25.0 radius circles.

Havent found how to change my dimension for my text yet

Type DIMSTYLE at the command line. This will open your Dimension Style Manager. Select your dimension style and then click the "Modify" button. Now, if you select the "Text" tab, you will be able to change your text height.

i had todraw this job from a piece of paper so if thats the way you did dot how did you know how to get the correct size?

That question implies that the “paper sketch” may not have contained all the necessary information. Were those radius dimensions (and one linear dim) the only information on the sketch?

I do think all the posted drawings represent what was intended by the sketch, and I’d like to think I would have made the same sensible assumptions given that information. But, without additional constraints, some assumptions would be required.

The attached shows an example using the same dimensions but with different assumptions.

STUFFED ME3.dwg

I do think all the posted drawings represent what was intended by the sketch, and I’d like to think I would have made the same sensible assumptions given that information. But, without additional constraints, some assumptions would be required.

Some assumptions were made, I wonder where the original drawing originated from?

Of course the course instructor would certainly point out anyone's errors, if there are any(?). :wink:

Some assumptions were made, I wonder where the original drawing originated from?

Of course the course instructor would certainly point out anyone's errors, if there are any(?). :wink:

No doubt, another sensible assumption. :)