Window and Door Details

bertsquall

Ok, was hoping someone could give me some useful information. I have used AutoCad2008 arch. I drew the whole thing in 3d so i was able to pull the sections, elevtaions etc off of the 3d drawing. My problem is that the sections are not very detailed and give very basic window and door details. Shown below

detail1.jpg

detail2.jpg

I was hoping someone knows a good website that does deatils that would fit these. Ive looked on sites such as pilkington but they have details for like commercial buildings. If anyone knows of a good site could they please share? Im off too keep searching for a detail been at it for 20 minutes now.

Cheers Robert

The manufacturer's website should have all the necessary details you're looking for.

In the U.S. manufacturers such as Pella, Marvin and Anderson are good sources for drawings (2D and 3D) of residential windows as well as highly detailed "typical" sections to go with each.

Thanks for the links guys all sites had great resources I could use but should i be a bit dubious that they are American where as I am designing doors and windows for the UK?

Dubious? Should you be dubious? Of what? Do you suspect that windows made in America are not up to the standards of those made on the other side of the pond? Surely there are window manufacturers in the UK that have just as extensive resources available to the designer as there are in the US. Yes?

If you click on the link provided above and read the text you'll notice a designer can work in metric units as well as feet and inches. Apparently someone at Anderson expected to sell windows outside of the US.

Dubious? Should you be dubious? Of what? Do you suspect that windows made in America are not up to the standards of those made on the other side of the pond? Surely there are window manufacturers in the UK that have just as extensive resources available to the designer as there are in the US. Yes?

If you click on the link provided above and read the text you'll notice a designer can work in metric units as well as feet and inches. Apparently someone at Anderson expected to sell windows outside of the US.

Well I come from Scotland where we follow the SBSA technical handbook, im not sure if America would have to consider the same aspects such as (DRI) Driving Rain Index, as in Scotland the weather here can be more hectic.

My images of houses in America would be of a timber framed house which would use a diffrent lintol type as in a scottish built Red Sandstone house for example. Im not questioning ths Standards they had set im just considering the difference in Lintols used and perhaps a diffrent approach to window design. Such as our windows would be deeper in the walls than say English windows and most likely America.

I am greatful for the links, there was a good amount of resource on them which i am adapting at the moment. So many thanks for your help.

Cheers Robert

Well I come from Scotland where we follow the SBSA technical handbook, im not sure if America would have to consider the same aspects such as (DRI) Driving Rain Index, as in Scotland the weather here can be more hectic.

Cheers Robert

Better check with the Pacific Northwest ( for never ending rain) and our South East and Gulf coasts with our frequent hurricanes (for high winds)

They know how to build windows and doors :wink:

Good luck on the details and let us know how you make out. :)

I'll admit that the weather in New England is not as harsh as you may experience. I can only recall two or three hurricanes that came far enough inland to affect us.

In older homes most walls were constructed using 2x4 studs. It is not uncommon for newer houses to be contructed using 2x6 studs. The window manufacturers take this into account in their product lines.

I'm curious though don't window manufacturers in the UK provide CAD versions (dwg and/or dxf) of their windows and the details to go with them as they do here in the US?

Uk sites tend to be more on if you want the detail then contact Us and we shall provide the cad detail, which can take several days. When i look for example for glazing, windows etc in the UK the websites tend to be more talking and no specifications or DWG etc. Where as the American sites provide everything you need.

However, i have adapted a good glazing window and door so its all good, just have to put my ballahuilish slated roof on and im all done with it.

Cheers Robert.

As ReMark noted above, "If you click on the link provided above and read the text you'll notice a designer can work in metric units as well as feet and inches."

Are you in need of drawings? Or, are you writing a specification for windows and doors?

Perhaps if you look around Andersen's website, you might find a spec for their products. Or, email Andersen asking for a spec that'll work in the UK.

My Andersen windows 'n doors are holding up just fine.

Installed in 18" (457mm) thick stone walls. Snow, rain, wind, they seal out the bad stuff. :twisted:

BarnExterior.jpg

Maybe you should spec out American made windows and doors. Sounds like we Yanks provide better services when it comes to designing. USA! USA! USA! LOL

Maybe you should spec out American made windows and doors. Sounds like we Yanks provide better services when it comes to designing. USA! USA! USA! LOL

American made windows 'n doors work in tornadoes, hurricanes, NYC skyscrapers, Shanty Town, New Jersey (by Secaucus I think).

American manufactures even post detail drawings online, don't have to beg, borrow, or steal 'em. Just download whatever you need.

Looking around Andersen's website, wow anything you might need is available. I didn't see a spec however for the UK, or Bahrain for that matter.

To add to the UK problem, the UK doesn't have baseball! Why not? :unsure:

NY_Yankees.jpg

American made windows 'n doors work in tornadoes, hurricanes, NYC skyscrapers, Shanty Town, New Jersey (by Secaucus I think).

American manufactures even post detail drawings online, don't have to beg, borrow, or steal 'em. Just download whatever you need.

Looking around Andersen's website, wow anything you might need is available. I didn't see a spec however for the UK, or Bahrain for that matter.

To add to the UK problem, the UK doesn't have baseball! Why not? :unsure:

Sorry don't know much that goes in Ameirca to be honest and its building standards. Maybe i should have done my dissertation on this to fill my knowledge:).

And we dont have baseball because we have FOOTBALL (soccer, but really should be called football as it the most played sport in the world) Boreball is not a very good sport to be honest, i could not even name a baseball team. :roll:

Rangers.png

Sorry don't know much that goes in Ameirca to be honest and its building standards. Maybe i should have done my dissertation on this to fill my knowledge:).

And we dont have baseball because we have FOOTBALL (soccer, but really should be called football as it the most played sport in the world) Boreball is not a very good sport to be honest, i could not even name a baseball team. :roll:

Here is some info for ya ;)

The Babe!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babe_Ruth

The Iron Horse

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lou_Gehrig

The Yankee Clipper"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_DiMaggio

and the Mick

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Mantle

4 of my favorite

Here is some info for ya ;)

The Babe!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babe_Ruth

The Iron Horse

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lou_Gehrig

The Yankee Clipper"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_DiMaggio

and the Mick

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Mantle

4 of my favorite

Thanks for the post. ALL MY HERO's. Go Yankees!