To create or not to create threads

Polanka

We have a question for the engineering community...

We're an industrial supplier that wants to add a 2D/3D CAD library to it's existing fastener inventory on the web. Files would be available for download with each product.

Our question is: Is it worth it to create realistic threads or would engineers prefer a blank slate? We have three options:

1. Create images with a blank slate for the thread (i.e. Fastenal)

2. Create cosmetic threads for representation purposes only (i.e. McMaster-Carr)

3. Create accurate helix threads

In searching the forum, it seems as though the preference is for #1, so that threads can be created when needed for CNC or other purposes.

We would love to hear your opinion!

We have created some 3d screws with proper threads for our internal library. They are manly using for concept drawings and although they look great, they can really slow a drawing down. If you can find a way of reducing the file sizes let me know!

Don't create the threads unless that kind of detail is really required. How often to do recall seeing actual threads shown anyway. I'd only do it if I was the manufacturer of bolts and screws.

My nuts are drilled at the internal diameter of the thread and a cylindrical surface shows the external diameter. In section drawings Booth of the diameters are shown.

Of course, the bolts are with the internal diameter represented by a surface.