Roof Truss Design

bertsquall

Hey there again,

After finishing my drawing of the house i was doing i decided i should add the roof truss design to it. So i used the BEAM tool and created the essential A-Frame with 50mmx200 timbers. I was able to get the A-Frame but i wanted my roof to look like this below

rooftrussdesignsheetlarge.jpg

Above shows the typical design i was looking for and the part i am having problems with is doing the bracing in between the A-Frame of the building. Everytime i join the brace from truss to roof timber it goes at a strange angle and cuts wrongly. I was hoping if anyone had experience in doing this before or myabe could recommened a good truss design program. Sat at it for ages last night with no luck.

Cheers Robert

Take a look at the VisionREZ plugin, they have a truss program that they export too to get the designs. I usually leave as much information out of the structural as possible and leave it for the engineers and truss designers. (one note, VisionREZ is only available in imperial units at this time)

Noahma is correct, The acutal truss will have to be spec by the engineers/truss designers.

To show the truss in your plans. Draw the two center are 1/3 of the span. The two outer are at the center point of the rafter measured from the peak to the inside of the wall.

Once again thanks for the quick replies guys, ill give this visionREZ a shot and see what i can do. I usually designed trusses in my old work but that was FastCad i used and drew it and offset etc. The only reason i need to add this in is because the more stuff i can cram in the more marks i get for my final year uni mark. Only reason why i am doing it :).

Cheers Robert

• 2 weeks later...

How would you be able to create a visual representation of the trusses? I've only been able to see a roof command, not a truss command. I guess I could make a section style to represent the roof structure :roof sheet:top cord:webbing:bottom cord.

I've had to draw up a set of trusses that I use on a per building basis. I've got now a few drawing sets that I pull out when I have a common roof and distance.