Very dark render

matramurena

Hi,

I've made a scene (interior) and use a daylight system to light it. Unfortunately it turns out very dark. To get the daylight into the scene I placed several sky-portals over the window-panes and turned on Final Gathering. (3 bounces, density 0,2, rays 150, interpolate 60)

The Exposure Value is set to 9, so that should be low enough. Normally this works out fine for me, but this scene just stays very very dark.

Does anyone have a clue how to fix this?

Thanx!

You're going to have to bump up the Density and Rays. Keep increasing the settings until the room brightens up.

Try running your render in Diagnotic mode so you can see how the rays are being distributed around the room. I assume you are using Mental Ray. If so, you can switch on Diagnostic mode by going to the "Processing" tab, Diagnostics section, and put a check in the "Enable" box and make sure "Final Gather" is checked also.

In Diagnostic mode, you will see little green dots everywhere light hits the walls, ceiling, floor, etc. The more green dots you see, the brighter your render will be. The goal is to get a nice even distribution of green dots around the room.

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed I use Menatl Ray. The diagnostics told me that the render should have looked good though... Strangest thing is that I saved the file and reopened it. Than it suddenly looked great... :( The scene now looks great but I hate that I dunno what caused the dark renders..

I've been fiddling a lot with the lighting and now the render that I get has a lot of white that has a total count of 1 (with the right mose click on the render) This should just be a normal lighting but is on the edge of being overlighted.... So I will have to start up lighting the whole scene again.