Degrees Minutes Seconds

KevUK

My knowledge in Autocad is minimal, as I am a site setting out engineer.

My question is: How can I draw a line by using DMS (Whole Circle Bearings) NOT surveyors.

eg: 100.000 metres @ a bearing of 30 degrees 45 minutes 45 seconds!!

If I enter it as @100.000

If I enter it as @100.000

Thanks

No need to shout.

I'm using 2010 it doesn't matter what I set Angle Type to. I can input the angle as a decimal or DMS and it excepts both (without freezing). Not sure why your input freezes things up. When did the problem first occur?

Have you used any custom LISP routines lately?

No need to shout.

I'm using 2010 it doesn't matter what I set Angle Type to. I can input the angle as a decimal or DMS and it excepts both (without freezing). Not sure why your input freezes things up. When did the problem first occur?

Have you used any custom LISP routines lately?

Sorry, did not mean to shout:cry:

Could it be the way I am imputting the angle!

Example:

@100.000

Exactly as I type it in

I just duplicated what you wrote and had no problem. What is shown below was taken directly from my text screen (F2):

Command: _line Specify first point:

Specify next point or [undo]: @100.000

Angle Type was set to Decimal and Precision was set to "0" places yet AutoCAD took the input just as I typed it. Doing a "List" on the line showed the distance as specified but the angle, for obvious reasons, was shown to be 31 as I expect it would. The point of the exercise was to get AutoCAD to freeze on the unexpected input. It did not. Good news for me but it does not explain why you are having a problem.

Have you had any problem in the past typing in DMS?

What is the source of the drawing? Did it come from an outside contractor?

What software was used to create the drawing?

Start AutoCAD-New Drawing

Draw a line

AutoCAD text window:

Regenerating model.

AutoCAD menu utilities loaded.

Command:

Command:

Command: _line Specify first point: 100.000,100.000

Specify next point or [undo]: @100.000

Point or option keyword required.

Start AutoCAD-New Drawing

Draw a line... ...

Seems to be some information missing in that sequence. What template did you start with or where did you set Units in that sequence?

Units.PNG

It does not matter what your angle units are set to, AutoCAD will always understand an angle input of 30d45'45".

But, because your command line says "Point or option keyword required." it does not understand what you are typing. If it did understand, the command line would say "Specify next point or [undo]".

Something is amiss :? and perhaps other minds may find the solution. It is bound to be simple. :shock:

Seems to be some information missing in that sequence. What template did you start with or where did you set Units in that sequence?

Create New Drawing

Use Wizard

Advanced Setup

Decimal (Precision: 0.0000)

Angle-Deg/Min/Sec (Precision: 0d00'00.00'')

Direction for angle: North

Orientation for angle: Clockwise

Area: 420X297

Dumb question (?)

when you input seconds, do you enter apostrophe twice, or the double quote symbol?

Many thanks CarlB.

That was where I was going wrong.

Simple! Works OK

Thankyou to all you guys :D

That was it? It all came down to an apostrophe or a quotation mark? Jeez!:shock:

Well, I'm happy you got it all worked out. Nice review lesson though wasn't it?:lol:

...do you enter apostrophe twice, or the double quote symbol?

LOL, good catch. Don't think I would have caught that one unless I was looking over the shoulder of the operator.

I teach in the mechanical field so I only do about 3 introductory civil type drawings a year in the beginning class. In the past I have had students have a bit of trouble entering surveyor's degree units. They always seem to get it figured out and get the assignments done. I'll have to watch in the future to see if they are making the same mistake.

JD