Stairs

bertsquall

Hey there again guys.

If I have started to use 3d solid for some work, so basically in this plan ive done like an emergency stair well for emergency. However i am struggling to get the stairs to bend round and and have two landings before it reachs the top door.

I have enclosed a deatiled part of just the stair. Is there any tutorials anyone could recoomend for doing a flight of u-bend stairs? Been bugging me for the last 3 hours now. Tried everything; ive had stairs going at weird angles and everything.

Can anyone help or recommend a good tutorial, i find the help in cad is not very good.

Cheers Robert

Stairs.dwg

Hey there again guys.

If I have started to use 3d solid for some work, so basically in this plan ive done like an emergency stair well for emergency. However i am struggling to get the stairs to bend round and and have two landings before it reachs the top door.

I have enclosed a deatiled part of just the stair. Is there any tutorials anyone could recoomend for doing a flight of u-bend stairs? Been bugging me for the last 3 hours now. Tried everything; ive had stairs going at weird angles and everything.

Can anyone help or recommend a good tutorial, i find the help in cad is not very good.

Cheers Robert

I found this helpful

http://autodesk.mediasite.com/mediasite/Viewer/?peid=bf23104e-afab-4e51-a622-05336024ae6a

http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=class&session_id=847

Thanks for the videos but still didnt help me much, they seemed to show preconstructed staris in the video. I was looking for somthing to show you how to draw them from scratch.

Cheers Robert

Are you wanting to draw them from scratch for practice doing 3d? If you draw out the outline of the stair tread, riser, and landing you can extrude them. You can however manipulate the stair generator in arch. 2008 pretty well. If automation is there why not use it??

Ive attached the two pictures of my stair layout and my projection to the door. The projection i have used 3d solids to make the correct height projections etc.

My problem is i need the stairs to go from the ground to the top floor. Every attempt ive tried just doesnt work, there is two landings. one about half way up and one at the 1st floor door. Now im struggling to layout so that the stairs reach the first floor, my landings are incorrect sizes and everything.

I really do mean i tried everything, its one of those tools i just find hard to get a grip with. When i right click stairs tab and apply to linework it asks so many questions and then doesnt work.

Cheers Robert

Stairs.jpg

stair projection.jpg

Ive attached the two pictures of my stair layout and my projection to the door. The projection i have used 3d solids to make the correct height projections etc.

My problem is i need the stairs to go from the ground to the top floor. Every attempt ive tried just doesnt work, there is two landings. one about half way up and one at the 1st floor door. Now im struggling to layout so that the stairs reach the first floor, my landings are incorrect sizes and everything.

I really do mean i tried everything, its one of those tools i just find hard to get a grip with. When i right click stairs tab and apply to linework it asks so many questions and then doesnt work.

Cheers Robert

Robert,

I feel your pain. I dont have arch on my machine at work but if you have your elevations set up for your first and second floor constructs then you can draw your stairs from the first floor going up and set it with an elevation to up to the second floor. I dont know the exact prompts to follow by heart but select the stairs from the tool pallette and then go to properties and select which type of stair you want ie. multiple landing , l-shape, u-shape , etc. then follow the prompts. hope this is some help? I know that video tutorial that i sent before goes over it pretty well.

Start with the stair tool Then go through the properties and set the heights ect. to fit what you need. You may need to manipulate the stair style to work right, there is some sort of riser height calculation you can use, or you can set a min. max. and desired riser height within the stair style, and it will fit for which best meets the required height. for the actual creation I use a polyline to represent the rise of the first leg, then for the landing, then for the upper leg. I set this poly line to follow the inside part of the stair so you only need four clicks to follow. Your stair is gong to need to be set as the justification to the same thing IE left if that is where the inside edge of the stair is. Hope this is clear enough, if not let me know and I will try to post a picture. Stairs can be a major pain in the rear, but once you get used to using them and find the quirks, they get pretty easy.

Start with the stair tool Then go through the properties and set the heights ect. to fit what you need. You may need to manipulate the stair style to work right, there is some sort of riser height calculation you can use, or you can set a min. max. and desired riser height within the stair style, and it will fit for which best meets the required height. for the actual creation I use a polyline to represent the rise of the first leg, then for the landing, then for the upper leg. I set this poly line to follow the inside part of the stair so you only need four clicks to follow. Your stair is gong to need to be set as the justification to the same thing IE left if that is where the inside edge of the stair is. Hope this is clear enough, if not let me know and I will try to post a picture. Stairs can be a major pain in the rear, but once you get used to using them and find the quirks, they get pretty easy.

Noahma, a much better explanation than the one I offered. stairs are indeed a pain but trial and error for a while and then you get the hang of it and as you say its pretty easy.. well put

Cheers for the replies again, ive tried a couple more time with no luck so im going to give this a rest for today. This has been the biggest nightmare of this program. Even in the videos you linked todouble, the guy sometimes cant even get it to work right lol so just shows you how bad a tool it is.

Cheers robert

After re reading your first post. You are essentially needing two staircases so that two landings would be used? You cannot do this using one single stair object, you will need to generate a stair tower. You will need to be using the project navigator to accomplish this, although you might be able to get away with creating two separate stair cases, with a mass element landing for the landing between the two stair cases. Unfortunately I work in imperial units, so I am not much help from a measurement standpoint.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey there again guys.

If I have started to use 3d solid for some work, so basically in this plan I've done like a stair well for emergency. However I am struggling to get the stairs to bend round and and have two landings before it reaches the top door.

Robert, couldn't open your drawing. Out and about, my laptop has AutoCAD '05. My workstation in the office has AutoCAD '07. Not all have '08, '09 or 2010 available. You might consider saving to an earlier version before posting. Most of my clients demand earlier version *.dwg files.

Back to the stairs, steel or wood? If you repost, earlier version of ACAD, I'll take a peek-a-boo. Look at the drawing I attached, wood stairs with one landing.

Stairs_-_Sub.dwg