Data Extraction to Excel table problem

JBullseye74

Ok i have this problem which is bugging me.

Just done a Data extraction which i do a lot of and never had this problom before. When i do a data extraction to an excel file then go to open the excel file all i get in there is a single cell which says the following:

'DeleteMe

Where has my eextraction gone.... whats happening.... any ideas?

:?

I've tried saving the file to an earlier version... cut and paste the blocks into a new drawing but i get this same problem. I might just go and try to do a recover on ht drawing and then try it see what happens.

You created a TABLE in AutoCAD then executed a data extraction to an Excel file?

What is the reference to "cut and paste the blocks" about?

I see you are using 2010. You do not use DATALINK?

Not really got into Data Links yet ReMark next on my list of things to do.

I didn't create a TABLE just the data extraction directly to excel file, i've just tried inserting a table as well and this isn't working either!

Th cut and paste ref was just seeing if my drawing had issues! so i started a new and cut and paste the blocks in question into the new drawing and tried the data extraction process again but to no avail.

:?

I've also had this problem recently.

I created 2 drawings on the same day, data extraction on the first drawing went completely fine, data extraction on the second drawing left me with an excel file containing a single cell with 'Deleteme inside... am totally confused as to why it worked fine on one drawing and not on the other! :?

If anyone can shed light on it for me then it would be much appreciated, i'm also happy to send people the dwg's if they want to have a look for me!? :wink:

Quick update:

I just copied and pasted just the blocks that I wanted to extract data from into a new drawing and the data extraction seems to have worked fine.... not sure what the initial problem was but this work around worked for me.

Would still be nice to know what caused the problem in the first place so I can avoid it in future. 8)

OK, I see. You have some blocks with attributes and you want to extract the data and place it in an Excel file. Correct? And you experienced a problem? What steps do you follow to do a data extraction?

You say you tried to insert a table. What is the source of the table? Did you get an error when you tried to insert it?

I have managed to get it to work... the data extraction that is.

I saved the extraction directly onto my local disk rather than my shared folder where my projects are kept and it seems to work ok!!!!

Very weird i have just retraced my steps and treid to save on my shared again and it doesn't work... maybe something to do with the long file path?!?!?

I can't speak for Jbullseye but I tried both options (creating a table in autocad and creating an excel spreadsheet) and I recieved no error messages at all.

The excel file resulted in the 'deleteme cell described above and the autocad table option created nothing at all.

I followed the data extraction process as I always have done.

Begin data extraction --->

create extraction template ---->

select objects ---->

select data required (attributes, block names etc) --->

check preview of results --->

select desired output file (autocad table, seperate excel spreadsheet or both) --->

Finish.

It might be worth noting that the preview of the results showed ALL of the extracted data meaning that the information is all there but just isn't exported to the final output file.

In my case the data required from the extraction is very simple. I have a block for setting out points and I need this from it : 1 attribute which is a reference number and the x and y co-ords of the block insertion point.

Like I mentioned previously it has always worked fine before (using autocad 2008 and 2009) and once I pasted the blocks into a new blank drawing on their own it worked fine. Very odd!