Learning DCL for AutoCAD

guitarguy1685

First off do you guys recommend ODCL or just DCL? And can you recommend any books to learn DCL for autoCAD? I couldn't find any on amazon.

First off do you guys recommend ODCL or just DCL? And can you recommend any books to learn DCL for autoCAD? I couldn't find any on amazon.

If you are new to dcl, I recomend the conventional way of doing it. I started learning this at Afralisp. They do a great job of explaing things and have many examples to learn from.

They have a complete section on dcl.

http://www.afralisp.net/

Good Luck,

The Buzzard

great i'll give it a go thanks. And is it just me or is the Text on afralisp white against a white background?

It's white. Change your color settings.

great i'll give it a go thanks. And is it just me or is the Text on afralisp white against a white background?

Depending on the type of browser you are using, You may need to go to the Compatibility View Settings under the Tools drop down menu in your browser.

Hi,

To learn DCL, you can have a look to Terry Miller's tutorial too:

http://web2.airmail.net/terrycad/Tutorials/MyDialogs.htm

gile,

Just my opinion, But I do not think that is much of a tutorial. Terry does not explain a thing in depth about the coding he shows there and the code is written in such a way that each dcl depends on the other. (Just one long drawn out program)

I have seen more experienced programmers confused over it.

Not very good for someone who is learning dcl.

Here is another by Jeffery P. Sanders

http://www.jefferypsanders.com/autolisp_DCL.html

He takes the trouble to explain things in steps.

Maybe paste a picture of what your trying to do then others may be able to provide with some sample code matching your task.

Dcl is not real simple at first but once you understand what some of the variables are doing then it gets easier. eg 17 pick squares & company image, pick square calls next dialog which is interactive enter value or move slider (3 entries) new total updated as you go. changing from say 3x3 to 4x4 to 5x5 grid dialouge is easy once you get first one done.