Tough Questions - Closed Polyline Tool (Shrinkwrap) Lisp

johnshar123xx

AutoCAD 2007

I have a quite a few tough questions/requests and I am currently looking for some lisps to solve them. I have been doing some searching online to find the lisps I need, and although I have been able to find some stuff, I still have some things that I can't seem to find exactly what I am looking for. I would like to take the opportunity ahead of time to thank every who views my questions and for any help that is given.

In software such as Autocad MAP and Autodesk Land Desktop there is a tool known as "shrinkwrap". Basically what this tool does is it will take any lines, arcs, etc. that you select and it will automatically close the objects selected making a closed polyline shape placed on top of these selected objects. For a basic example lets say you draw a square but you only draw three sides of the the square (using 3 separate lines). If you select those three lines using shrinkwrap command, it will automatically add the 4th line completing the square and it will create a closed polyline shape of the square and put it on top of the original 3 lines you first drew, in the layer you current have "set to current". Obviously this is a basic example, the goal is to be able to do the same concept with much more complex shapes that from objects (lines & arcs) that maybe don't connect in more than one place.

AutoCAD 2007

I have a quite a few tough questions/requests and I am currently looking for some lisps to solve them. I have been doing some searching online to find the lisps I need, and although I have been able to find some stuff, I still have some things that I can't seem to find exactly what I am looking for. I would like to take the opportunity ahead of time to thank every who views my questions and for any help that is given.

In software such as Autocad MAP and Autodesk Land Desktop there is a tool known as "shrinkwrap". Basically what this tool does is it will take any lines, arcs, etc. that you select and it will automatically close the objects selected making a closed polyline shape placed on top of these selected objects. For a basic example lets say you draw a square but you only draw three sides of the the square (using 3 separate lines). If you select those three lines using shrinkwrap command, it will automatically add the 4th line completing the square and it will create a closed polyline shape of the square and put it on top of the original 3 lines you first drew, in the layer you current have "set to current". Obviously this is a basic example, the goal is to be able to do the same concept with much more complex shapes that from objects (lines & arcs) that maybe don't connect in more than one place.

Back in the early 1980's one of our software producers came to me asking as how to balance a survey that did not mathmatically close. The computer had excess space, an ability to calculate very fast, so was sort of a surprise to me in seeing him at the doorway. We came up with a solution that later on was including into their package being marketed. Basically if you have a six sided figure, and the line lengths and internal angles can be figured out, then is easy process to determine as to where the basic error was at. Usually at the worst (measured) internal angle. As the system did not allow for a closing angle normally, we used the error to justify the closure. And then altered the length of closing line, or did it via hand and analysis. On initial try the survey may not close by two feet, but in adjusting one angle, it then closed with a few hundredths.

Via practible experience, and that of others, found that a location for angular errors was often the measured angle to some central intersection, or along a busy street. (Gee, that was fast and simple then.)

The Autodesk group was due through in a few weeks, so we added it to the software system package, but they did not.

Wm.

For your three sided square example you could use 'Edit Polyline'; pick any line first and Acad will tell you that it is not a polyline and ask if you want to make it into one;

say YES;

then type J (for join) and select your other lines;

then type C (for close) and Acad will join all the lines and close the last side.

Simple example but it will work with more complicated shapes as well.

Just wanted to thank you guys for taking the time to try to help answer my questions. I came across that toolpack a while ago but the company i work for was not interested in buying it.

Also the other answer given is a concept that I have never thought of, and it does work for certain situations, but it is not quite what I am looking for.

Shrinkwrap allows for multiple gaps and it also places the polyline shape on top of the existing lines. I basically use shrinkwrap to create no plot outlines for hatch boundaries. Shrinkwrap also will create a boundary when you run into lines and arcs that just won't join with pedit.

I have been searching for this answer for some time now, but this one is tough to find the exact tool from autodesk map. I thank you guys again for your help.

I came across that toolpack a while ago but the company i work for was not interested in buying it.

Well, keep in mind that there are 700 more tools in there, and that the purchase price is about 2 hours of billable time. If you spent 2 hours this year looking for tools like this, it would have paid for itself.

Good luck.

I had a similar problem and the best solution I found which saved allot of clicking on grab points.

Copy the lines objects etc.. paste somewhere off your drawing.

Explode to make them all lines

PE (polyline edit)

Object or mutiple - Multiple

not a polyline and ask if you want to make it into one;

say YES

Join

Jointype (either type in the command bar or press down arrow in dynamic input)

Gives the option of Extend/Add/Both

- Type/select both

it will then ask for Fuzz distance..give it a number larger than the biggest gap in my case it was usually no bigger than 200 mm but whatever you need.

enter

et voila. one closed polyline made from several Plines that are not even touching.

I know its not a lisp but im sure you could write one as it is very simple and im sure someone smarter than me can turn that into a LSP for you should you need it. I have had a go but the string comes out all wrong.

• 6 years later...

hi all

i am trying g to do the same thing, i am trying to put a polyline around this crane jib so that i can wipe out the background when its overlayed over satellite images and architectural plans

however this action takes about 30min, and eventually i have to press escape and give up.

can anyone else get it to work please?

XGTL260 plan without wipeout.dwg

hi all

i am trying g to do the same thing, i am trying to put a polyline around this crane jib so that i can wipe out the background when its overlayed over satellite images and architectural plans

however this action takes about 30min, and eventually i have to press escape and give up.

can anyone else get it to work please?

[ATTACH]59075[/ATTACH]

Maybe one from here: https://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=48031.0;all

1. Draw a rectangle that completely encompasses all objects you wish you outline.

2. Use Bpoly/Boundary command and pick a point inside the rectangle, but outside all objects you want to outline.

3. ??

4. Profit

1. Draw a rectangle that completely encompasses all objects you wish you outline.

2. Use Bpoly/Boundary command and pick a point inside the rectangle, but outside all objects you want to outline.

3. ??

4. Profit

yes as my post said, i tried this. and it took forever of watching a frozen cad program with a circle going round and round for 20-30 min before i exited out of the command

i have attached the same file to the tread, does it work for you?

• 5 months later...

3. ??

4. Profit

hi

i tried this but it freezes autocad just after it warns that it will take a while, should i turn island detection off?