Viewport cut planes

AKCadman

How do I go about showing different cut planes for the viewports? I have a multistory structure and need to show cut planes for each floor on the same sheet...

How do I go about showing different cut planes for the viewports? I have a multistory structure and need to show cut planes for each floor on the same sheet...

AKCadman,

You're using architecture right? Cant you window the area and create a detail of all the elevations that you want to show?

AKCadman,

You're using architecture right? Cant you window the area and create a detail of all the elevations that you want to show?

Thanks Todd,

Dont need elevations, need floor plans. When I set the cut plane to, say, 36" for the lower level, the viewport of the upper floors change based on the cut plane information. I have tried a horizontal 'slice' but the image does not look like a 'floor plan' as it would had I set the cut plane.

Follow me?

Thanks Todd,

Dont need elevations, need floor plans. When I set the cut plane to, say, 36" for the lower level, the viewport of the upper floors change based on the cut plane information. I have tried a horizontal 'slice' but the image does not look like a 'floor plan' as it would had I set the cut plane.

Follow me?

I guess I dont completely follow? You want to show the floor plans as if they were one on top of the other and have cut planes? can you post the example?

Hmm, basically I have two viewports on the same sheet. The upper VP is of the upper floor plan and the lower VP is of the lower floor plan. I would like to set the cut planes for each of the viewports to their related plans..ie, lower plane at +36", the upper plane at +132". The cut planes show the windows and doors as one would expect to see on a floor plan. Door swings, window components, cabinets, sinks,etc. If you do a horizontal slice, the doors are shown with no swing and the windows change as well. Additional data is missing from a slice as compared to a cut plane.

I appreciate your feedback. I may be looking for somthing that does not exist. seems odd that you cannot set cut planes for different viewports.

• 1 month later...

Hi.

Did you ever find a solution to this?

I have gone into Display manager and created a new Configuration for each viewport and in this configuration set the cut plane individually for each viewport.

It doesn't really work, only to a certain extent...

Any other options?

Hey thanks for following up on this issue. I did not get a solution from this site but did resolve the matter just as you described. I stumbled upon the resolution almost accidentially and have had great results thus far.

Much thanks!

• 8 months later...

I will appreciate any help, I need the same thing ...

All that I try - the system (almost all times) does not let me change the above/below or the cut-plane value itself .

I tried this also by adding a new configuration entry under the Format/Display Manager - but again the system did not let me change the cut-plane values.

I could change from 140 to 170 but then could not change (for example) to 500.

I would expect for a minimum of a warning message from the system - but nothing happens - the value is just returned by itself to the previous value.

Thanks for your help.

One more question - what is the need for the Low/Medium/High detail for the existing display configuration?

Hey thanks for following up on this issue. I did not get a solution from this site but did resolve the matter just as you described. I stumbled upon the resolution almost accidentially and have had great results thus far.

Much thanks!

Hallo AKCadman!

I know it´s a long time ago since you posted this, but how did you actually solved this problem?

//Tobias

• 3 months later...

Just figured this one out myself.

-Go to model space tab

-go to the manage tab on the ribbon

-click on Display manager

-under configurations create new configurations like Story1 & Story 2 (in addition to Medium detail, Standard etc.)

-once these are created set the appropriate cut plane for each story. Make sure that "display above" is a greater value than the cut plane or it won't take.

-Go to the layout tab

-double click in the viewport and set it to the appropriate configuration - story 1 etc. (lower right hand corner of screen)

These new configurations will be helpful when working in model space too, instead of manually setting the cut plane each time I switch levels, now I can just select the appropriate display configuration.

• 3 months later...

I agree with CadMonkey2; however, regarding my issue: My mistake was because of some values that I changed in the "Global cut plane" popup window.

You must enter values that follow this: "Display above range" > "Cut Plane" >= "Display below range"

I made a mistake and enterd values where both "Cut Plane" and "Display below range" were equal to 3000. This was eccepted by Autocad BUT when I wanted to change the "Cut Plane" to a lower value (e.g. 1000) the system just did not change this value and NO ERROR MESSAGE WAS DISLAYED - It took me some time to understand that this is another Autocad bug (no message is displayed and value is not changes...) - hope this is solved in later versions.