Different Dimension Scales On Same Project

Anestakos

not to hijack, but it kinda fits into my issue.

I'm working with a roofing outline basically and they're quite big like 25' for ex. I have selected dimlinear and tried pulling it out and the numbers are there and the corners are there but they're soo tiny it's quite ridiculous. To the point that it looks like 3 other lines added to my initial line that i am trying to measure.

I read a lot about adjusting text, but that's not gong to fix my issue as the corners of the dim scale are not showing either.. i can't finish this project until i dim it and it's completely stumping me for about a day.

any help is appreciated.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• AFitchguy07

• totzky

• erratic

Top Posters In This Topic

I take it then the drawing has been scaled?

I personally do all my dimensioning now in my layout. I only have to deal with one size for all dimensioning objects. I do not use annotative dimensioning. Do you?

I take it then the drawing has been scaled?

I personally do all my dimensioning now in my layout. I only have to deal with one size for all dimensioning objects. I do not use annotative dimensioning. Do you?

I played with the two annotate buttons on bottom right (one makes dims change with scale change and other makes dims not change with scale change or something like that) and i played with those. but no luck.. i messed around in ddim settings and no luck.

i open acad10 and it's defaulted to model tab so i stay there... i draw my stuff and then i try and dimlinear it and POW it's all small.. text and even the lil / mark on the corners (i'm using the architectural style in ddim) so i don' thave the arrows like in standard.. but either way those are all super tiny. unless i scroll in.

here is what it looks like when i try and dim this line:

3129wn8.jpg

Did you happen to make any changes to the dimension style you're using via DimStyle? For instance, did you change the length of arrowheads, or the font style and size, or the offset distance of the extension lines?

Did you happen to make any changes to the dimension style you're using via DimStyle? For instance, did you change the length of arrowheads, or the font style and size, or the offset distance of the extension lines?

I updated the previous post with a screenshot for you to see. It's a 25' line and when i dim it, it says 25' on top of the line if i zoom all the way in and same goes for the style design on the corners.

as for ddim, i went in and changed only text tab settings but nothing affected

its appearance. This is how it stands now: (which i believe is default)

145u89.jpg

*EDIT*

Do i need to go into paperspace to dim it? because when i go to paper space it's just empty.. i assume i have to create a viewport. From what i understand, a viewport is just the way you view a drawing such as when using a 3d image. But I'm using straight 2d drawing.

Each person has their own way of dimensioning. Do you HAVE to go into paperspace (most people now refer to Layout instead)? No. But you can if you want to. It doesn't make any difference if it is 2D or 3D.

Yes, a viewport, or more than one viewport, must be created in your layout to see the objects you have drawn back in model space. The recommended procedure is to draw all objects in model space at FULL size. Once you are in your layout and have created the necessary viewport(s) a scale is applied to it. Everything in your layout, such as your titleblock/border and notes should be drawn 1:1.

You never answered my question regarding how you drew your model space objects. Were they "scaled" (much like one would do on a drafting board) or were they drawn full size?

i can't draw in full size as i don't have a 25 foot monitor... so of course it's in scale... all i did was open acad, drew line and entered 25' and hit enter. then double clicked my wheel on mouse and that brought it into full view.

i didn't touch anything else...

i can't draw in full size as i don't have a 25 foot monitor... so of course it's in scale... all i did was open acad, drew line and entered 25' and hit enter. then double clicked my wheel on mouse and that brought it into full view.

i didn't touch anything else...

:lol:

Forgive me but that has to be the funniest thing I've read possibly all year. Tell me you weren't being serious when you wrote that. You weren't, right?

:lol:

Forgive me but that has to be the funniest thing I've read possibly all year. Tell me you weren't being serious when you wrote that. You weren't, right?

yes i was joking lol

but that is all i did so no scale. I just drew the line and double clicked the mouse wheel to bring it all into view.

waiting on you to reply, i went and created "1 viewport" and then it scaled it automatically and then i tried doing a dim on that 25' line and same thing... super tiny and makes it look like the screenshot above in post 27.

Do you have a skype account? It might make this a lot faster and easier on your explanations if you could view my screen and audio chat.

Apparantly I have been struck blind as I see no screenshot above or anywhere else in this thread.

The Viewport may "scale automatically" but that scale is random. You must define the actual scale.

If you are going to dimension in your layout then use Osnaps to pick your points of reference otherwise AutoCAD will return an incorrect distance.

Have you made any modification to the Dimension Style you are using?

screenshots are in post 25 and 27.....

By default the annotation scale on bottom of screen is set to 1'-0" = 1'-0". so that's 1:1 but 1:1 is an option on the list so i don't see why i have two of the same settings..?

I assume that means you can't see the attached images in those posts... well honestly i would like to be able to dim in both but for now, model will work because i don't have a grasp on the whole paper space and stuff yet. i just need this baby scaled and printed (not sure how).

My advice is to pick ONE. Either dimension in model space or dimension in your layout. Doing BOTH will cause unnecessary confusion down the road for you and anyone else who may have to work on this drawing in the future. Believe me.

Sorry...still no images on my end. This isn't the first time it has happened. Can't explain it.

What are you using for a dimension style? The default "Standard"?

no, architecture.. i like that design look better than arrows :D