Drawing 3D Steel Beam

Sparky

In one of the 3D views, start the FILLET command, set your distance, and select the edge of the mitered corner you want to fillet. It's actually that simple.

And just so you know, if you do a lot with 3D Steel, why don't you pick up a copy of AutoCAD Architecture or AutoCAD MEP?? They have a Steel and Member Styles catalog added in and tons of tools for drawing steel. 8)

I tried that before I posted the question and it always filleted the edges in the wrong direction. I thought the problem was the order that I selected the lines but that had no affect either.

W8-3D.dwg

Also note, that you are kinda doing it the "hard way". Best thing to do is just use the already made 2D section of the beam you have drawn, and just use the EXTRUDE command to give it length. That way you're not stuck with drawing three boxes, UNION them together, and FILLETing 4 sides. It's already done for you. :)

Yea we are new to the whole 3D concept in my office. The part I was missing was that you select the same face twice. I'm use to filleting in 2D where you have to select the two intersecting edges. Thanks

The more you work in 3D the easier it gets. Just remember if it's gonna be the same profile extruded along a single strait path, just create a profile first, then use the EXTRUDE command. Try and do as little as possible. But like I said, it gets easier. Experience will help. :)