Blocks and Layers

ziemerd

I thought if I made a block on the 0 layer that I could insert it and place it on any layer I want. I can insert it and put it on a layer then turn that layer off but the block does not disappear. Any ideas?

Thanks

Dawn

I made sure the objects for the blocks were on layer 0. Then I made the blocks while layer was on Layer 0. I inserted the blocks on my drawing and put on on the Part layer and the other on the Cutout layer. I turned off the Part layer and my block does not go away.

So then I went to the paper space tab this drawing is on and froze the layer and it worked.

Why can't I get it to work in model space?

The most important thing is that the block disappears when I freeze the layer in the viewport so I'm ok but I still think it should work in model space.

Thanks.

Dawn

ziemerd,

Just to check, are you talking about BLOCKS or Components? Blocks behave the same way as we would expect in other versions of CAD, but I have recently noticed (as I try to get us using Electrical as Electrical rather than expensive CAD) that components appear to behave differently.

I have a component with an attribute on a SIGNAGE layer. If the door gets a number different from the room number, it goes there. I can insert the component and WATCH the attribute come in on the right layer (color light blue) and then change to the MISC layer (color white). I've not had time to play with it, but there are definetly some odd behaviors regarding layers here.

Glen

I've noticed a lot of quirky things with electrical versus plain AutoCAD. I just work through them the best I can.

Sorry Dave, I've moved on since this problem and am unable to post it.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Dawn

What I need to show up does show up in the viewport and the same with what I need to NOT show up when I freeze layers. In model space the block does not disappear when the layer is turned off.

I've moved on since it works in the viewport and that's what's important.