Linking pages for title block

BCleaver

Hi all,

I am creating a title block and want to be able edit the text on one layout page so that when the text is edited it changes all the pages.

i.e When revision A is changed to revision B all sheets are changed at once.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you want to make a change globally (i.e. all pages at the same time) you should use a field in your title block. If you want to make a change specific to one sheet only, use an attribute.

Type DWGPROPS and go to the Custom tab. Click Add, then enter a name for the field that you want to use (AutoCAD has a ton of them already made, but I just made my own custom fields). Now enter a value or phrase for the field that you want to display (or leave it blank if you're making a template).

Now, go into your block and start MTEXT. Click on the Insert Field button, make sure All is selected in the drop down window. Look for your custom field name and click OK.

This way, whenever you start a new drawing, all you have to do is type in DWGPROPS and go to your custom tab. Then you can edit the value of the field, click OK, then save your drawing (or do a REGEN depending on how your FIELDEVAL is set up) and it should update across the board.

I don't know if fields are handled differently in LT, so my instructions may only apply to the full version. Someone chime in if I'm wrong.

If you want to make a change globally (i.e. all pages at the same time) you should use a field in your title block. If you want to make a change specific to one sheet only, use an attribute.

You could also set the title block up as an xref too, right

You could also set the title block up as an xref too, right

This is exactly how we do it at my company. One title block xref'd means you only have to change it once then those changes will be reflected throughout all the drawings. I dread the thought of changing any where from 30-100+ sheets one at a time.

We do the same here, when I started here we set up all of our sheets as seperate drawing files and what a pain it was to have to update every sheet when a date of title changed, I love xref's.

I don't use an x-ref for my sheet border. If I need to make a change globally, I just update the fields. There are bits of info that I want to keep on a per sheet basis (such as sheet title, sheet number, etc) that I use attributes for, so when I make a change it only updates on one sheet.

I'm sure there are many ways of doing something similar, but that's how I'm doing it.

You made a good point about the sheet titles and sheet numbers. We have those set up as blocks with the insertion point at the lower left hand corner of the title block. I like the fields idea, I'm not really fimiliar with fields.

Certainly if setup properly making sure every field is added beforehand one can use title blocks in each sheet seperately and using sheet set manager to manipulate those fields will work just as well. But this does not afford the opportunity to modify the title block easily if need be.