How do I remove unwanted blocks & layers?

eelywig

I am using 2008 Lite and have construction drawings from others with layers and blocks that I would like to remove. I have tried deleting the layers but get the standard message about layer not empty.

The drawings were quite large and I only need a portion so I exploded everyting and erased what I did not need. Many layers and blocks remain even after many purges. What to do?

I have just been fighting this battle myself with some drawings. Stuff that wont go away even after purging is still somehow in use.

For instance: you have a block that you want to keep in your drawing that you have put on layer 7. The block was created on layer 0 but has some elements that are on layer 1. Even if there is absolutely nothing showing on layer 1, the block is still using it and AutoCAD will not let you purge that layer.

Blocks that you can not purge are often nested blocks. Block A, B and C are used to create block D. You then use quick select and delete all other instances of block A, B, and C, but there is one or more block D in the drawing. Purge will not let you delete block A, B, C, OR D.

There is a LISP that is available from ManuSoft called SuperPurge http://www.manusoft.com/software/SuperPurge/Index.stm 30 day trial and $30 purchase that will allow you to purge / delete drawing elements that are still in use. Be aware that you can do some damage with it. Be sure to save (long term) a copy of the drawing that you can return to if you find unintended deletions later.

Good luck

Glen

AJ-Tried that many times to no avail but thanks for the response.

Glen- Thanks for the information about the lisp program. Unfortunately it does not support LT.