Data Extraction and Auto Linking - brain puzzler

Ozymandias

Hey guys, I hope you are all getting ready for the christmas wind down.

I have been pondering something for a little while now and was wondering if any one here can help me out although I think the answer might be no.

I manage the Cad .dwgs for the property department and we have just spend 4 months surveying the buildings and putting in space and occupancy data into the drawings.

I designed the system so that when we extract the data is is split via occupancy and space..

i.e. Area GIA, Area office etc

Occupancy X

Occupancy Y

this information allows for accurate recharging of costs and I export the Polyline data filter by layer and Roberts your mothers brother all the raw data you could want.

Obviously this data needs refining calulations run on it which is done on a front sheet of a workbook and the data is copied from the raw .xls into a seperate workbook. Is there any way that I can link the extract sheet on the excel calculations file to a drawing (or even group of drawings)so that when I update the drawing it will update the raw data file. eg.

I change the third floor drawing and then open up the building spread sheet, the raw data tab has been updated. I know that you can instert OLE files into cad and when you change those the drawing changes but can it work the other way ? for the life of me I cannot find an anwer.