Add siding to a stacked wall?

crosscad

:oops:Hi I am working on a project that has a stacked wall. Brick at the bottom and wood siding at the top. I would duplicate the stacked wall in the imperial template and just change the materials but I'm not sure where to go to find or load siding so I can choose it as a type. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
:oops:Hi I am working on a project that has a stacked wall. Brick at the bottom and wood siding at the top. I would duplicate the stacked wall in the imperial template and just change the materials but I'm not sure where to go to find or load siding so I can choose it as a type. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks.

It's been a while, but did you find a solution?

Sometimes you can get away from putting everything in 3D when you can just create a repeating detail to show it in the small handfull of details related to a particular component.

BTW, Happy New Year! ^_^

I've heard this suggestion before, kindof fake it with materials so it shows ok in 3d; but I'm curious to know how to create these specific types of stacked walls etc. in Revit?? Anybody know??

I've heard this suggestion before, kindof fake it with materials so it shows ok in 3d; but I'm curious to know how to create these specific types of stacked walls etc. in Revit?? Anybody know??

Stacked walls can get a little hairy. Try this:

Place a stacked wall that loads with the Revit default project template. After placing it, right-click > Element Properties > Edit > Duplicate > name it "Test[something-or-other]".

Now, go to the type parameters below in the same dialog window, and look at the structure. Basic walls are made up of materials and thicknesses under this setting. Stacked walls are made up of already configured regular "walls" and then put together with offsets and heights.

For an example, I have a bathroom with a tile wainscot. I make the standard gypsum wallboard partition as a one basic wall, and then I make a ceramic tile on backerboard as another basic wall. (Remember to pay attention to the interior, exterior and core sections of the wall structure; I'll come back to that later.)

The next step is to create the stacked wall by putting those two basic walls together. When you edit your stacked wall (turning the preview on is very helpful here), you can set the height (like for the top of a wainscot) and the offset (like for an air gap for a masonry covered wall.)

Remember back when I said pay attention to exterior, interior and core? This can become crucial when you are dimensioning. This is also where it proves that you need to be watching how you place your walls and where your location line is. If you are dimensioning from a wall in a ceiling plan, you need the face of the gypsum for the ceiling tile (dimension to core and let the gypsum face be set as the core.) If you are laying out plumbing furnishings for ADA then you need to dimension to the face of the tile (dimension to the wall face and let the tile be set as the exterior face.)

This is a lot of info! If you need some pictures or a video, let me know, and I will shoot one your way.

SIDENOTE:

Stacked walls can be HARD to work with. Depending on the application (like the above example) I will prefer a wall sweep. It can be much more predictable at your joins and wraps VERY nicely.