Cannot get background image to appear in render

KeithXP

I am having difficulting getting a background to appear in my renders.

I have tried simply getting up the Envronment panel, clicking on Environment Map button (currently says mr Sky), selecting Bitmap and choosing one (I am using Autodesk-supplied images to test). When I render I get nothing but black backdrop.

I have also tried setting up a bitmap material, (Environ, Mapping:Screen, leave all else alone), and drag-dropping it into the Environment panel button. mrSky is replace with the name of my material, but it still will not appear. (Use Map is definitely ticked)

I've double checked with a few tutorials, but can't spot where I may have gone wrong....

I have done a bit more playing around, and the problem seems to be related to my render presets. But I cannot seem to get both the background showing and the correct exposure simultaneously - if the background is visible, the scene is completely overexposed, or completely underexposed.

Given I have a mr Daylighting System in the scene (with default settings for London), which render preset should I use? "mental ray daylighting' seems appropriate, but I get no background.

I just realized this should really be in the beginners forum...

It's kind of tricky getting a background image to work with a daylight system. It can be done, but it would be difficult to describe the procedure here in the forum. Take a look at this tutorial: http://www.scribd.com/doc/18007934/3ds-Max-2009-Tutorials-Lighting-Rendering

I generally add my backgrounds, post render, in Photoshop. This gives me a lot of control over the background and I can easily swap out different images if I want to.