+ Reply to Thread
    Hanna

Default AutoCAD/FrameMaker PDF conflict

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

I use Adobe FrameMaker to produce manuals that I convert into PDF files using Adobe Acrobat Distiller.

I also use AutoCAD to produce engineering drawings which I "plot-to-file" to postscript files using an AutoCAD PostScript Level 1 plot driver (which I created using the Add-A-Plotter Wizard). I then use Adobe Distiller to convert the postscripts into PDFs.

Ever since I installed and started using AutoCAD all my FrameMaker PDFs come out in black-and-white. Not even the hyperlinks have color. Is there a setting in the AutoCAD plot driver that might be causing my PDFs to come out black-and-white? Is there a setting in Distiller that might be causing my PDFs to be black-and-white? I've looked and looked, but I hope I am missing something.

In Distiller I use separate .joboptions for the FrameMaker PDFs and the AutoCAD PDFs. I am running Windows 2000, FrameMaker 6, AutoCAD 2000, and Adobe Acrobat with Distiller 4.0 (full version).

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

- Hanna

Computer Details
    CADTutor's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    Motherboard:
    Asus P7P55D-E PRO
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-860
    RAM:
    4GB PC3-12800 C8 Corsair Dominator
    Graphics:
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 768 MB
    Primary Storage:
    Intel X25-M SSD 160GB
    Secondary Storage:
    Samsung Spinpoint 320GB
    Monitor:
    BenQ FP241W 24" Wide
    Discipline
    Education
    CADTutor's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Senior Lecturer (Digital Design), Landscape Architect & Web Designer
    Discipline
    Education
    Using
    AutoCAD 2015

Default Re: AutoCAD/FrameMaker PDF conflict

I've had no problems plotting to PS files - always in colour. However, I've never tried running these through Distiller. I assume the images are in colour when viewed in FrameMaker?
    Tip: Please do not PM or email me with CAD questions - use the forums, you'll get an answer sooner.
    AutoCAD Tutorials | How to add images to your posts | How to register successfully | Forum FAQ

Hanna

Thank you for replying so quickly!

Yes, all the images are in colour in FrameMaker. I also reformatted a second computer and re-installed all my software except for AutoCAD and I can generate PDFs from FrameMaker in colour. It just seems to be AutoCAD that changes it. This morning, as a test, I tried to create a postscript/PDF using Word 2000 on the computer that has AutoCAD and it was also in black and white, even though the clip-art was in colour. I created the PDF by printing a post-script to file and using Distiller to convert it to a PDF.

You said you don't use Distiller - which software do you use to convert the postscripts to PDF form? If I can get FrameMaker to use a different conversion method that works then I am very willing to try it!

Thank you so much for helping me with this problem!

- Hanna

Computer Details
    CADTutor's Computer Details
    Operating System:
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    Motherboard:
    Asus P7P55D-E PRO
    CPU:
    Intel Core i7-860
    RAM:
    4GB PC3-12800 C8 Corsair Dominator
    Graphics:
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800 768 MB
    Primary Storage:
    Intel X25-M SSD 160GB
    Secondary Storage:
    Samsung Spinpoint 320GB
    Monitor:
    BenQ FP241W 24" Wide
    Discipline
    Education
    CADTutor's Discipline Details
    Occupation
    Senior Lecturer (Digital Design), Landscape Architect & Web Designer
    Discipline
    Education
    Using
    AutoCAD 2015

Registered forum members do not see this ad.

I do use Distiller - it's just that I've never tried it with AutoCAD PostScript files. If I get the time, I'll try it out and see what happens.
    Tip: Please do not PM or email me with CAD questions - use the forums, you'll get an answer sooner.
    AutoCAD Tutorials | How to add images to your posts | How to register successfully | Forum FAQ