Cannot select or lock or resize any of my viewports.

zionshea

Hello all,

I have reviewed here the discussions and the answers regarding the reasons why a Viewport cannont be selected.

Anyway, none of the solutions helped me selecting or resizing my viewports.

When I click a Viewport, I see a black thin rectangle arround the Viewport boundries but it cannot be resized or selected for locking or unlocking.

I am using Autocad Architecture 2008 and I turned on all existing layers and none of the layers are freezed - all is on.

Thanks for your support.

You are talking about viewports in Layout space right?

You can click it, but you can't select fit? Isn't that the same thing?

Is the Viewport on layer Defpoints? This has caused problem for me in the past, if it is on Defpoints, try creating a new Viewport on another layer and see if that works better.

From what the OP states, it sounds to me like the viewports have had their scales locked and are on a layer which has been turned off and/or frozen.

The fact that the OP see's a black thin rectangle arround the Viewport boundries says to me that the OP has entered into the viewport and is in the model.

The Viewports are on in a Layout.

Actually I'm not sure how you can craete a Viewport on a certain layer (e.g. Defpoints).

I deleted the layout with all the old Viewports; and in the new automatic craetes layout I managed to create 6 new viewports where I can now select and resize each of the viewports. Not sure what was the problem.

Thanks for your quick reply.

To create a Viewport on a specific layer you make sure that that particualr layer is active (type Layer to start the Layer manager and double click on a layer to make it active) and then create a Viewport.

The layer Defpoint is a standard AutoCAD layer that is always there and is a bit particular. I personally try to never use it, it causes more problem that it solves.

Glad that you got it sorted :)

Thanks Tiger for your help.

As you see I am new in this forum; I will sure have many clarification question to ask here.

Regarding the Autocad version; do you have any recommendations regarding the version? is it recommended to move from 2008 to 2009 or 2010? any major differences between these versions?

Ask away Zionshea, that's what this forum is here for :)

About changing versions, if you are going to, I would say go to 2010 directly - it's a new format (a new save-version) and there are a few things there that 2008 does not have. most notably is that Autodesk fixeed the bloated scale lists which is a godsend!

About if you should or not, that is more a financial question probably. If you have the possibility, I would say go for it!