Does your company use annotative scaling?

ReMark

Steve: Annotative text will be set up in model space. I'm just wondering if because of scaling differences of viewports (back in my layout) the text may or may not show up in the exact same location it does in model space.

Skipso: Yes, you are correct. That is what I am aiming to do.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Sparky

• mrbucket

• stevsmith

rkent: Text in both MS and in PS seems a bit dangerous. Choosing one over the other would seem more logical. But as you say the future use of the drawing may dictate this kind of approach. Could you cite an example?

ReMark, you can assign more than one scale to a peice of text, and then have that peice of text show in different viewports at different sizes (i think)

I'll get some more info together soon for ya.

This is right. Let's say you have text with 1/2" & 3/4" scales assigned to it. The text will only show up in the viewports that have the 1/2" & 3/4" scale. I used this on braced frame elevations. Using this I could draw the elevation at one scale and in the same drawing file create my details of the connections. The model looked very messey but once in the viewports everything was nice and organized due to the annoatative objects only showing up in the viewports with the same scales that were assigned to the specific pieces of text

rkent: Text in both MS and in PS seems a bit dangerous. Choosing one over the other would seem more logical. But as you say the future use of the drawing may dictate this kind of approach. Could you cite an example?

An obvious example would be a drawing that might be saved as a standard detail. I would want the text in MS with the objects for easy insertion into a drawing later.

I don't have to reduce the procedures to the lowest common denominator as there are only a few of us and we are not beginners.

In offices with large numbers of users, and especially beginners, I would probably choose one or the other and stick with it. In that case I think I would want annotative in MS. Everytime a viewport is created the text would already be there, rather than having to pull it over, copy, place, etc. for different plot scales.

This is right. Let's say you have text with 1/2" & 3/4" scales assigned to it. The text will only show up in the viewports that have the 1/2" & 3/4" scale. I used this on braced frame elevations. Using this I could draw the elevation at one scale and in the same drawing file create my details of the connections. The model looked very messey but once in the viewports everything was nice and organized due to the annoatative objects only showing up in the viewports with the same scales that were assigned to the specific pieces of text

Does this help?

Annotation.dwg

@Sparky...

Thats basically the same thing I do. However, I usually dont include diff text heights on the same drawings, sometimes I make copies and use diff dimscale on each depending on detail and vp scale (it may be really tough to read very small scale of dims and they appear as black smudges and dots on larger scale vp). But the viewports @ diff scales on the same drawing.

@Sparky...

Thats basically the same thing I do. However, I usually dont include diff text heights on the same drawings, sometimes I make copies and use diff dimscale on each depending on detail and vp scale (it may be really tough to read very small scale of dims and they appear as black smudges and dots on larger scale vp). But the viewports @ diff scales on the same drawing.

Yea, as I told ReMark, this was just some research I did for the company, we never put it into practice so I'm sure there are things that I missed out on that would have been caught through everyday use.

Sparky:

I opened the annotation.dwg file and took a look at what you did. I see you combined everything into a block. That was intentionally done so it could be inserted into any number of drawings and all three details would be ready to go?

Sparky:

I opened the annotation.dwg file and took a look at what you did. I see you combined everything into a block. That was intentionally done so it could be inserted into any number of drawings and all three details would be ready to go?

ReMark, Here is the orginal elevation file that was xrefed onto the sheet which contains the Annotative text and dimensions.

0900OH-BR01.dwg

In a 2007 Cadalyst magazine article Lynn Allen wrote the following:

"Tip: When you use the new annotative objects, you can move them independently in each viewport even if the same objects display in multiple viewports. Fabulous!"

The thing is she did not elaborate on the method of doing so and a search of the AutoCAD Help file returned "0 item found". Does anyone know the secret?

Where I'm at with annotative scaling.

I took a detail provided as part of a tutorial. The detail is in model space where it belongs. I created a layout and in this layout I created two vertical viewports and assigned the scale of 1 1/2"=1'-0" to one and 3/4"=1'-0" to the other. Back in model space I created annotative objects such as text (using multiline), dimensions, one block, a couple of multileaders (with text) and a three different hatch patterns. I randomly assigned annotative scaling (one scale, the other, or both scales) to the objects and got pretty much what I expected as viewed in my layout with the exception of one piece of multiline text. This text is the only one assigned both scales. In my 3/4"=1'-0" viewport it falls exactly where I want it. However, in the 1 1/2"=1'-0" viewport the lines of multitext barely make it into the viewport, thus my question of above. Other than that I feel I have a rudimentary grasp of the concept of annotative scaling which means I must have learned something today! LOL

Could not have done it without your input though. Thanks one and all.

Eatonpcat: You're using multiple dimstyles or what? You do not use layouts at all either right?

You are correct... May not be the best way, but it works for us!!

Only use layout for title blocks