Does your company use annotative scaling?

ReMark

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Sparky

• mrbucket

• stevsmith

My company doesn't use annotative scaling either.. We have different text styles set up such as small=1/16", big1/8, bigger=1/4. They also practice putting them all in model space and then doing all the plotting from there. i have fought with them about the benefit of paper space several times and slowly converting them.

Hi

Also my company not used annotative scaling, we have many text and dimension style for

Each scale and we put it model space

We don't use annotative scaling. All is done in model space like e.mounir. 8)

We dont use them either. All done in model space. Would be very tedious to make revisions and then change dims and text in paperspace. Much more efficient for me to do in one location on the fly.

I use annotative scaling, IN MODEL SPACE.

Its really handy, saves me having to muck about setting text heights, dim scales and mleaders.

Although I have sent some drawings to out glass suppliers.

They cant seem to read the dimensions sometimes.

It seems to be a random thing.

I quite like them although our other draughtsman still prefers to 2002

Hmmm...seems like I'm the only one so far who does his dimensioning in a layout.

Mr. Steve, if I may prevail upon your experience. Let's say I have some multiline text, that is annotative, and I want it to appear in two viewports. What problems, if any, might I encounter? Let's say one viewport has a scale that is twice as large as the other.

We don't use Annotative dimensioing either. I spent a couple of weeks earlier this year studying about Annotation and how it could improve our company. We currently use script files which atuomatically sets our text heights and dimension styles for us. We note and Dimension drawings in model space and xref everything into sheet sets in layout. I thought the annatation was pretty cool but just not practicle for us in our office. Script files work much better for us at this point.

We use it (all 2 of us here). We don't use dims often, but we do use Multi Leaders and block attributes/labels. Generally works well for us.

We never add annotation to layouts - only in the model.

I did not mean to imply the use of annotative scaling in a layout only in model space as it should be. I'm trying to decide if going to annotative scaling has any real benefits for us.

I was taught the method of dimensioning in a layout when I took my first 3D class at a local community college. Prior to that we drew everything in model space including notes and dimensions and "scaled" the drawing much as one would if drawing on the board. Thus we had to do some math to figure out, for example, what height to use for text so it would plot at the equivalent of 1/8". Many old timers will remember doing this early on with AutoCAD.

@Remark...

I use dimscale macros and depending on the amount of detail, it can go very small, but then i can immediately go back to 1/4"=1'-0" for floor plans. In Paperspace I use viewports to scale, and if any revisions are needed, its all ready scaled properly. It just seems much faster than manually doing it.

I'll need to get back to you on this subject tomorrow ReMark. I've left work for the day, but,

I'm pretty sure that you can change the scale of the annotative object within the quick properties menu, (if you have it on) but let me test out the theory tomorrow and I will give you an answer.

I think also F1 gives you a small demo of this but i could be wrong.

mrbucket:

Just what does a typical dimscale macro do? Does it adjust not only the scale but the visibilty of the object (freeze/thaw layer)?

ReMark, you can assign more than one scale to a peice of text, and then have that peice of text show in different viewports at different sizes (i think)

I'll get some more info together soon for ya.

mrbucket:

Just what does a typical dimscale macro do? Does it adjust not only the scale but the visibilty of the object (freeze/thaw layer)?

For me, its very basic. It just mainly switches size and style. Now that Im thinking about it, I could create layers for each, or a combination for each size that would include visibility based on layers.

I place most of my MTEXT in MS using an annotative style. When I dim in MS I use annotative dims, but sometimes dims go in PS. Location depends on use of the drawing in the future, or during the project, etc.

No one size fits all here, I use things where they make sense for that drawing, project, etc.

As an example, placing dims on a 3D object in a non-ortho view, dims have to go in MS to show true size without mucking about with scaling to make it work.