tyre

TonyBorland

Greetings All

I have not modelled a tyre before and need some help on how to make.I am not sure on how to put the tread on and around the tyre.

Any help appreciated

Tony Borland

tyres.jpg

I would create an offset work plane on the tires edge then create and extrude my tread profile, then simply do a circular pattern of the tread feature.

here is a crude example...

tire3.jpg

Hey tony, what JD was saying with the offset surface is to take your outer tire surface and use the Thicken/Offset command. This will give you a surface to use a terminator for you tread block. If you use the From/To option you have the tread block(2d sketch) start at your offset surface and end at your tire surface. This will ensure your tread shape is the same as your tire. I use this often when subtracting a tread pattern, i just offset surface into the tire. Make sure you use the Surface button and not solid when using thicken/offset for this. Also when you are using the from/to option for your tread block, depending on the location of your sketch, make sure you use the MORE tab on the Extrude pop up window for Minimum solution. Also you have the check boxes on the Shape tab for Terminate on Extended face. If you arent careful you may notice your tread block goes all the way through the tire. Now looking at your example the tread block profile is different from the tire shape so I would create a revolved surface as your feature terminator.

Tirehelp.jpg

Tirehelp2.jpg