Dynamic Blocks: Knowledge sought...advice welcomed.

OK all you Dynamic Block brainiacs out there. What nuggets of knowledge can you offer up regarding the creation and use of Dynamic Blocks? I'm taking the plunge (better late than never).:lol:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• SuperCAD

• mrbucket

• todouble22

Alright, here is a specific question.

I'm constructing a simple dynamic block for a pump base. Normally they are rectangular. I've assigned a linear parameter with a stretch action to the length (2" increments) and it appears to be working correctly. I did the same for the width but I have the dreaded yellow exclamation point despite following the exact same procedure for the length.

What did I do wrong that the width will not change? Should I have used an XY parameter instead?

Hmmm...Despite having the increments depicted and the lightening bolt with the word Stretch1 next to it if I hover over the exclamation point it says "No action associated with grip point of parameter". Why that is poppycock! There is too! Isn't there?

Update: Problem solved. Forgot a step. I failed to specify the parameter point to associate the action with! Call me a dummy.

Another question.

I want to create a dynamic block for a tank. I want to start with a 12" diameter and go up in size (in 6" increments) to 10'-6" diameter. What parameter/action combo would work best?

I cant let you have your own conversation in here, lol.

I personally love visibility states. Just a quick list to choose from for whatever is predetermined. Linear parameters work good, but I find that, like you did, its easy to skip a step and/or have issues with correctly shows to scale per object.

One benefit to talking to one's self is that you assume the "other" person is always listening.:lol:

Are you suggesting Visibility States for solving problem number two?

BTW...Thanks for the company.

I know there is a bit of work to do to set it up in those increments, but I think much faster as you can just have a base point and copy and paste then adjust for each, it goes quick once you get in a rhythm of visible and invisible with a title.

Yes, six inch increments (tank diameter) will generate a few circles. I'll give it a try as this is really more of a learning experience for me at the moment. I am trying to think ahead and try to determine what might be practical to use. Thanks.

Scale? I'll have to check that out. Thanks SuperCAD!

I'm sure you have already done a search but I have found this link and tutorials helpful. db's have always been a trial and error learning process for me. http://www.ellenfinkelstein.com/AutoCAD_tips_dynamic_blocks_white_papers.html

I think the visibility parameters would be the best and easiest route for you

Thanks todouble22 I did check out (and print) Ellen's tutorial re: Dynamic Blocks. I practiced with her deskset drawing. Some of the parameters were not covered at least in the six page excerpt I have.

One thing i mentioned earlier, with Scale, on very easy objects it works great. HOWEVER... Most objects dont scale properly without having a change in structure or overall dimensions. If your scaling a factory product, lets just say doors or windows, the scaling will work for over-all. But....interior components such as Muntins/Grills need to have extra work done to them to accomodate the extra/minus scaling done on the object. Thats where alot of work is needed to correctly target factory or even custom dimensions.

Window grills are impossible to do correctly because you need to stretch them all evenly AND array them based on the width and height of a window (i.e. narrow windows have one or two vertical grills, and wider units may have 3, 4 or 5). Unless someone has figured out a way to array a stretch action, I don' think it can be done.

ReMark, I remember finding a dynamic block super file a long time ago (I think it was on Autodesk's forums) where someone went through a did a really good example of each dynamic function, along with a very detailed description of what he did to make it all work. I think I have this file on my home computer. I'll look for it tonight and post it when (if) I can find it. In my opinion it's much more detailed than the white papers.

Window grills are impossible to do correctly because you need to stretch them all evenly AND array them based on the width and height of a window (i.e. narrow windows have one or two vertical grills, and wider units may have 3, 4 or 5). Unless someone has figured out a way to array a stretch action, I don' think it can be done.

ReMark, I remember finding a dynamic block super file a long time ago (I think it was on Autodesk's forums) where someone went through a did a really good example of each dynamic function, along with a very detailed description of what he did to make it all work. I think I have this file on my home computer. I'll look for it tonight and post it when (if) I can find it. In my opinion it's much more detailed than the white papers.

It can be done, but its individual for each linear stretch function. So yes, It cant be done, lol. Would be way easier to draw once and use visibility states.

I've downloaded a 3-part series of tutorials by Ellen Finkelstein tonight. It looks like it may have been the full version for the excerpt I downloaded initially.

That dynamic block super file sounds interesting. If located I would be interested.

Have tried the suggestion of using Scale action with a tank block and I think it might work. May also try the suggestion to use visibility states when I get back to work tomorrow.

My thanks to everyone.

FOUND IT!

www.evaug.com/Dynamic_Blox_Tutorial.zip

You'll have to extract all of the files for the images to show up in the tutorial.

I, SuperCAD, in no way shape or form take any credit for the creation of this file. I found it at this address: http://discussion.autodesk.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=5551721#5551721

That said, I take no responsibility for anything related to the use of this file.

"That said, I take no responsibility for anything related to the use of this file."

Thanks?:huh: I promise not to sue you in a court of law.:wink:

I'm sure there is a lawyer somewhere out there that would try to pin something on me if a person downloaded the file and their computer blew up or something. It's just a little CYA. I opened the file this morning and it worked just fine so you shouldn't have any worries, but there is that 0.01% chance that something could go awry.

"I want to create a dynamic block for a tank. I want to start with a 12" diameter and go up in size (in 6" increments) to 10'-6" diameter. What parameter/action combo would work best?"

An update. I'm trying a second approach using visibility states. I knocked out a couple of interim sizes as being unneeded so I'm left with fifteen circles representing all the diameters I think I'll need. What a PITA it is to set up the visibility state of each. For every one that is shown fourteen have to be made invisible. Argh! But hey, it's a learning opportunity so I shouldn't knock it right? Two days ago I knew zilch about Dynamic Blocks now I are a dynamic blockhead!