Importing ascii point file into AutoCAD

Litahni

Hello,

I'm so glad I found this forum. I am fairly new at autocad (about 2 years of experience) and I learn something new about it everyday. Recently, my boss asked me if I knew how to import an ascii point file into autocad, and I told him I didn't, but I can find out.

According to what I'm understanding an ascii file is a type of code that requires an add on type program to import into autocad. Can somebody please explain how this works and what program/add on I need to do this?? And how to do it please??

Thanks so much,

L

The file is a .asc file created in TraversePC version 2.15. According to what I am understanding I cannot import this file into regular AutoCAD; I would need to use Civil3D for that. Is that true??

I was able to get someone to convert it to a .dwg file for me. She uses a program that her brother created that allows her to do this. I would like to know if there is a way I could do this myself though for the future. We are thinking about ordering TraversePC if we need to.

You should be able to open the file in Notepad or similar and observe the file contents and structure.

It's likely the Lisp routine Lee Mac wrote & referred to will import the point data from the file.

The file is just like a .csv file. It opened in excel and showed x, y, z, and descriptions.

Unfortunately, I have no understanding of a lisp file. Today is the first day I even heard of it.

I have heard of it but never used it, could you upload the file or something so i can try it out? maybe just part of the file if its really large....

:?

Thanks so much Lee Mac for the reference to the thread regarding lisp files; this should prove to be extremely useful. The coding reminds me of a class I took for Matlab: fun stuff. LOL NOT!!!

I would be happy to load that .asc file here for you Spikes so you can try it, however, the attachment uploader is telling me that it is an invalid file extension. Sorry. Maybe if I save it as a .txt or .csv file it will come through.