topographic maps

fhy

hello, the thing is, I want to learn to draw a simple topographical map depicting the water pipes and electricity cables underground, and everything else. I do not have all the calls for more of their 3D display, i just need to draw it view from the top. maybe someone can help. maybe someone knows where homepage obtain the necessary information for this the job and whether it requires an additional program? Thanks in advance!o:)

Sounds more like a site plan you are drawing, if it shows existing features such as utilities, edge of pavements, walkways, vegetation, etc.

Topography/topographic maps primarily show ground elevations, in the form of contour lines, ridge & swale lines, etc.

I used to prepare topographic maps.

It flat is not fast I can tell you. I would come to work one morning and find a dozen or so pages of un-reduced field notes sitting on the desk-top and a manilla folder on the job. That is what I worked on for rest of the week.

First you have to set the lines of the boundary.

Second comes the contours.

Third comes the hard items ont eh surface (the walls, teh buildings etc)

Fourth comes the alignment of underground items like pipelines and conduits.

Fifth, the field crew gets done, and you send them out for a re-check or pictures of some item, as an explaination. Had one crew use right benchmark, but wrong position. Caused a 4.45' lift in all elevations. Do over again. Field chief still thought the work was good otherwise.

When you begin, you also then order up any maps that show proposed directions of the underground items. They arrive about the last day and in time to be placed upon your map.

To do a good topographic map (such that for a person who does the grading can take over then) takes a full week or more.

Wm.

Actually, there was a lot of information set into that manilla folder long before I ever saw it. Was taken up by the person who initially met with the potential client. We made up a (new) checklist on what was to be gathered from teh potential client. They DID NOT like that. If menat they ahd to hire a title company, soils firm, and others then "Just" to get their building done. Origianlly they were thinking of being on the cheap side. In the folder was: Title Information, what the County had to say about the project (fit into zoning?), a rough sketch of the proposed structure, and usually a poorly drawn PLOT plan (with all corners set at 90 degrees), and other things that got passed around. If the building was upon one or two lots, showed the old lot line and provided the client a copy of format on how to merge into one lot. Our job was to provide a Bndy. survey at same time as we did the lot topo. Thus the field crew did a few things with their visits.

Was my job to go as far as possible with copies of field notes as possible, and then turn in timecard and the plat. After a few years the plat did not go to anyone, but stayed with me and I then did the grading too.

All, but everything had to then fit on to a 36 inch wide sheet, or two.

It tkok me several decades to to learn how to gather up the questions/information, and is very doubtfull anyne can learn this here or just in one job. For each agency is differerent. I pitty the poor old architect that thinks they can "easily" do all such in one week.

Wm.

Where are you in the world ?

Most local goverment authorities have GIS systems in place that can export out a ACAD dwg with the sort of info you want. You can then use this as a base plan if your doing a dwg covering a particular site. Ask nicely and they may provide.

It varies a fair bit on what you can get and how much it costs. Where lucky we have a pretty good system here in AUS which is free for water gas power etc.

A word of warning though never trust the information provided some of our service plans showing pipes etc where indicated on plans drawn by a caveman with a charcol stick but adopted as gospel.